Fw: Chuck Shea: Council President Letter - San Francisco JROTC

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2008
      Members and Friends,

      Chuck Shea, Preident of the San Francisco Council, is asking for support to retain JROTC in San Franciso city high schools. If you live and vote in the city this is especially directed at you. Add your name to the growing list of supporters. For all of us, please, a check would be greatly appreciated.

      Choice for Students
      PO Box 16265
      San Francisco CA 94116-0265

      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council will send a letter indicating our council support along with a check. It seems as soon as we get a little $$$, like from the drawing at our 9 June luncheon, a need pops up. Some councils are financially endowed, this one looks forward to that day. Still we will do what we can where we can - the next O'BRIEN shipyard visit, the full page ad in the AMMV Convention program, the memorial service wreath on the O'BRIEN, the upcoming commissioning of the USCG Cutter BERTHOLF, and now San Francisco JROTC.

      Thanks,

      Phelps

      PS A quick web search reveals...
      1. Article:SAN FRANCISCO / School board votes to dump JROTC progra:/c/a/2006/11 ... About 1,600 San Francisco students participate in JROTC at seven high schools ...
        www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/ a/2006/11/15/BAG2HMD46B1.DTL - 59k - Cached
      2. Bay Area JROTC members: Casualties of San Francisco values ... yesterday on the San Francisco school board's decision to kill its JROTC program. ...
        michellemalkin.com/2006/11/16/ intolerant-san-francisco-jrotc - 53k - Cached
      3. ... on the fate of the JROTC program in San Francisco, which was targeted last year ... recent survey of JROTC students in San Francisco schools found that 74 ...
        michellemalkin.com/2007/12/12/jrotc-in-san-francisco-rescued - 71k - Cached
      4. A recent survey of JROTC students in San Francisco schools found that 74 percent ... SAN FRANCISCO / Board approves year extension for high schools' JROTC program ...
        www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/ a/2007/12/12/BAPFTSAS3.DTL - 54k - Cached
      5. San Francisco to Boot JROTC Programs, San Francisco schools to phase out Junior ROTC programs due to 'don't ask, don't tell' policy
        www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Nov15/ 0,4670,JuniorROTC,00.html - Cached
      6. The San Francisco Board of Education's 4-2 vote last week to abolish the Junior ... kids feel safe," says one JROTC instructor, retired Army Lieutenant Colonel ...
        boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/ oped/articles/2006/11/19/...
      7. San Francisco to Boot JROTC Programs. Wednesday, November 15, 2006. ADVERTISEMENT ... About 1,600 San Francisco students participate in JROTC at seven high schools ...
        foxnews.com/printer_friendly_wires/ 2006Nov15/0,4675,JuniorROTC,00.html - Cached
      8. Ousting JROTC: A San Francisco Value. by Tommi Avicolli Mecca" Nov. 16" 2006 ... November 14 San Francisco School Board vote to phase out JROTC (Junior Reserve ...
        beyondchron.org/articles/Ousting_JROTC_ A_San_Francisco_Value_3918.html - Cached
      9. San Francisco to boot JROTC programs. November 15, 2006 ... About 1,600 San Francisco students participate in JROTC at seven high schools ...
        boston.com/news/education/k_12/.../san_francisco_boots_jrotc_programs
      10. ... Training Corps (JROTC) Program in San Francisco public schools. ... San Francisco School Board end Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) at ...
        www.jrotcmustgo.blogspot.com - Cached
      And more on the WWW.

      Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2008 5:06 PM
      Subject: Chuck Shea: Council President Letter - San Francisco JROTC

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2008

        Quincy Yu

        Choice for Students
        PO Box 16265
        San Francisco CA 94116

        Dear Quincy Yu,

        At the Battle of Mobile Bay Admiral Farragut shouted, "Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead." It has served as a rallying cry for the United States Navy ever since.

        The Pacific Merchant Marine Council, Navy League of the United States, supports Choice for Students! Members do not want the Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps in San Francisco, or anywhere else, to be terminated.

        We commend Choice for Students for taking the lead to maintain JROTC within the City of San Francisco. Enclosed are two checks, $75.00 from the council and $25.00 from me to assist with expenses.

        Anticipate future correspondence from me as president of this council to the media.

        Respectfully,

        Phelps Hobart

        ________________________________

        --- In PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com, "Phelps Hobart" <nlsac@...> wrote:

        > Members and Friends,
        >
        > Chuck Shea, Preident of the San Francisco Council, is asking for support to retain JROTC in San Franciso city high schools. If you live and vote in the city this is especially directed at you. Add your name to the growing list of supporters. For all of us, please, a check would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Choice for Students
        > PO Box 16265
        > San Francisco CA 94116-0265
        >
        > The Pacific Merchant Marine Council will send a letter indicating our council support along with a check. It seems as soon as we get a little $$$, like from the drawing at our 9 June luncheon, a need pops up. Some councils are financially endowed, this one looks forward to that day. Still we will do what we can where we can - the next O'BRIEN shipyard visit, the full page ad in the AMMV Convention program, the memorial service wreath on the O'BRIEN, the upcoming commissioning of the USCG Cutter BERTHOLF, and now San Francisco JROTC.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Phelps

      • scclg
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2008
          Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 5:07 PM

          Hey Phelps!!  Hoorah!!

          Thanks a Bunch!!

          Best Regards,

          Chuck

          "Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS" <PMMC@...> wrote:
          Letter of support and two checks went out in the afternoon mail.

          Anchors Aweigh,