The pleasure of your company is requested

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2008
      Please make your reservation and forward this message to associates and possible guests. We welcome all.

      NAVY LEAGUE of the United States

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council

      In honor of the 106th anniversary of the founding of the Navy League

      the pleasure of your company is requested at our

      Midyear Symposium Luncheon

      United States Cabotage Laws - Maritime Law In The 21st Century

      Esteemed Panel of Guest Speakers

      1130, Monday, June 9th

      Quinn’s Lighthouse Restaurant and Pub

      1951 Embarcadero East, Embarcadero Cove Marina, Oakland

      Reservations in advance please.

      $27 per member or guest by June 8th $30 at the door

      Check payable to Phelps Hobart

      Send to PO Box 191403, Sacramento CA 95819-1403

      Inquiries (916) 739-6949

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS, To Host West Coast Symposium Luncheon

      The council symposium luncheon Monday, June 9th, will focus on the applications of United States cabotage laws in the 21st century. Confirmed panel members include:

      RAdm. Frank X. Johnston, USN (Ret.) former officer in charge of the San Francisco office of the U. S. Maritime Service, Panel moderator.

      Capt. Donald J. Rose, USCG, Staff Judge Advocate, U.S. Coast Guard Defense Forces West and Pacific Area. The Coast Guard works with U. S. Customs and Border Protection and the Maritime Administration on enforcement.. Captain Rose is called in on disputes.

      Mr. Michael G. Roberts, Attorney. He represents Crowley Maritime Corporation and is associated with the prominent Washington D. C. law firm Venable LLP. He serves on the Board of Directors of the Maritime Cabotage Task Force.

      Capt. Edward Dangler, USN (Ret.) Proctor in Admiralty. Capt. Dangler is well versed representing clients here and abroad. He is also a professor at two Bay Area law schools.

      Following the conclusion of the luncheon meeting will be a short break then those who would like to remain for further discussion will reassemble.

      One last note. We will again have a drawing. If you have a treasure - nautical nick-knack, house plant, wine, booze, whatever - and you would like to donate it to help pay for our guest speakers luncheons we would be most appreciative.

      Quinn's Lighthouse Restaurant & Pub

      Situated in an historic landmark lighthouse built in 1890, Quinn's Lighthouse Restaurant & Pub, http://www.quinnslighthouse.com, 1951 Embarcadero East, Embarcadero Cove Marina, Oakland, phone (510) 536.2050, serves an eclectic mix of traditional American cuisine, ethnic specialties and award-winning seafood specials from both coasts. Parking is free. If you may arrive by boat, Quinn’s dock is free as well.

      The Upper Deck Pub, with it's "throw them on the floor peanut shells" features 8 draft beers and over 58 domestic & imported bottled beers. In addition to indoor seating, there's an 80-seat outside deck overlooking the beautiful marina. We will gather here between 1130 and 1155. If you have a name tag please wear it.

      The Yacht Club Dining Room, on the main floor, offers a quiet and relaxing dining atmosphere overlooking the gorgeous Oakland Estuary. Our luncheon at 1200 will be here.

      Lunch starts with either clam chowder or house salad. Choice of entrees include sautéed fish, chicken breast with shrimp, or a Cobb salad. A New York steak with mushrooms entrée is available for an additional $5. Tea, coffee, tax, and tip are included. Please indicate your preference. $27 in advance or $30 at the door. You are on your own if you should care to add a dessert.

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS, Affiliates With Maritime Task Force

      April 16th the Pacific Merchant Marine Council was welcomed aboard the Maritime Cabotage Task Force, http://www.mctf.com, a prominent broad-based U. S. maritime industry coalition.

      Its 350-plus members span the United States and its territories. They represent vessel owners and operators, shipboard and shore side labor groups, shipbuilders and repair yards, marine equipment manufacturers and vendors, trade associations, dredging and marine construction contractors, pro-defense groups and companies in other modes of domestic transportation.

      These diverse but allied interests share a common goal: to promote the long-standing U.S. maritime cabotage laws. Upon a foundation of U.S. ownership, construction and crews, the United States has built an unsubsidized domestic fleet that is the world leader in efficiency, innovation and safety.

      The Jones Act and other U.S. maritime cabotage laws require that cargo and passengers moving between two points in the United States be carried on vessels that are U.S.-owned, U.S.-built and U.S.-crewed. Other statutes reserve dredging, towing and salvage in U.S. waters to vessels that meet these requirements.