Pacific Central Region, NLUS, Meeting May 10th

    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2008
      Captain's Call newsletter goes to press May 6th. That means regretfully that members without E-mail will likely receive this invitation Friday or later. I will endeavor to call them.

      Look for Captain's Call in your mailbox at the end of next week. Please join us Saturday morning May 10th.

      Anchors Aweigh,

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS
      (916) 739-6949 or cell (916) 955-3972

      Pacific Central Region Meeting May 10th

      You are encouraged attend this special Navy League gathering Saturday morning, May 10th, at the California Maritime Academy, 200 Maritime Academy Drive, Vallejo. The day starts at 0800 with a continental breakfast. The meeting is great opportunity to learn more about the Navy League, meet our national president, national staff, national directors, and of course members of other councils.

      Discussion is designed to focus on:

      • Membership recruiting and retention. On this panel will be sea service recruiting command officers as well as key Navy Leaguers.

      • Legislative affairs. The Navy League 2008 agenda clearly states more of just about everything for the sea services. For the merchant marine, more goods transported on United States ships staffed by United States citizens!

      We have fine attendance at our luncheon meetings - twenty-eight March 10th. Let's see if we can top that May 10th at the California Maritime Academy! Saturday activities are the heart of this special event but Friday evening at the Sharkey's lovely home will be special too.

      Arrive early Saturday morning for registration check in, time to enjoy the breakfast, time to socialize, and time to get a good seat. There will be essentially two sessions with a short break between them. Another short break and then the luncheon with Mike McGrath, NLUS National President speaking. President McGrath and two staff members will be flying out from the east coast. The Q & A portion is assured to be lively.

      The Academy's S. S. GOLDEN BEAR will not be dockside; it departed April 27th on the first of two student summer cruises to the South Pacific. For those who can stay beyond the luncheon Phelps has arranged with Lt. Tyler Churchill, USN, Assistant Officer in Charge of the Naval Science Department, a guided tour of CMA’s state of the art marine engineering classroom facilities. For attire, sport casual is appropriate, blue blazer, gray or tan slacks, if you so desire. Any questions? Contact Don Hale, President, Pacific Central Region 408-997-3282.

      On Friday evening, 1800, May 9th, a Welcome Aboard Social will be held at Bill and Jeanne Sharkey’s home in Martinez, The address is 4551 Alhambra Way, just off Highway 4, a 15-minute drive from the Academy campus.

      Cost for Friday evening’s social is $12 per person; included are a dinner buffet, margaritas, beer, and wine. Cost for Saturday’s meeting is $25 per person; for the continental breakfast and lunch. Checks in advance please payable to PCR NLUS sent to Lorraine Hughey, 1650 Candelero Ct., Walnut Creek CA 94598-1020. For your Friday night reservation call Lorraine, (925) 938-5664 and pay upon arrival. For the 10th endeavor to get the check to her by May 7th but if you can’t please call her and pay Saturday morning.

      If you want to stay overnight Friday at a motel, there are many to choose from in Martinez and Vallejo. The Vallejo Inn on Maritime Academy Drive is clean and inexpensive at less than $50.

      Phelps

    • scclg
      Message 2 of 2 , May 7, 2008

        =;  Ahoy members and friends,

        This event is only going to come around once. Thank you to those who have made your reservation. If you haven't please do so.

        If you are not obligated elsewhere, spend some time with Navy Leaguers. Calling it a meeting is understating what will will likely transpire.

        Simply call Lorraine Hughey, (925) 938-5664, and pay when you show up at the social or meeting. I am expecting a wonderful time Friday evening and some eye-opening discussion Saturday.

        :)  Phelps

        PS The April - June 2008 Captain's Call has been reproduced and is now being assembled and addressed. Let me know if you have someone you would like to receive a copy.