S. S. UNITED STATES documentary on PBS

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2008
      Two thing going on here.

      Annual meeting of the S. S. UNITED STATES Conservancy aboard the RMS QUEEN MARY in Long Beach May 3rd. There a gala dinner and premier showing of the documentary S. S. UNITED STATES, Lady in Waiting.

      The SS United States Conservancy seeks to preserve and revitalize the SS United States, the largest and fastest ocean liner ever built in her namesake's country. The Conservancy works to ensure that the nation’s flagship will endure for future generations as the ultimate expression of the United States Merchant Marine and American transatlantic passenger shipping.

      Big Ship Films, LLC is pleased to announce that the broadcast version of our SS United States documentary is now complete.  On Thursday, January 31, 2008, the one-hour high definition master was delivered to our presenting station, WTTW in Chicago.  Plans are now underway to market and publicize the film to all American Public Television affiliates throughout the country where the film will begin airing nationwide in May.

      In conjunction with the annual gathering of the non-profit SS United States Conservancy, and with the generous cooperation of the RMS Queen Mary Foundation, SS United States: Lady in Waiting will have its world premiere aboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach, California on Saturday, May 3, 2008.  For more information about the Gala Premiere, please visit the SS United States Conservancy Website.

      Past, present, and future of this passenger luxury liner, plus a call to rebuild her to her former glory.
      www.ss-united-states.com - 3k - Cached
      Archival film footage of a cruise aboard the SS United States. SS United States Conservancy, a non-profit 501(c)3 preservation group ...
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_United_States - 57k - Cached
      Today the ocean liner SS UNITED STATES is moored in Philadelphia. ... Did you get the email about the October SS UNITED STATES Crew & Friends reunion? ...
      www.ss-united-states.com/i2.html - 12k - Cached
      The SS United States was the brainchild of one of the world's foremost marine ... dream became a reality when the SS United States crossed the North Atlantic in 3 ...
      www.ssunitedstates.org/theship.htm - 20k - Cached
      Campaign to save the United States, one of the greatest ocean liners ever built.
      www.ssunitedstates.org - 5k - Cached
      ss united states ... This is the best video I've seen to date of the SS United States' interiors. ... his video from ss-united-states.net as I periodically ...
      www.ss-united-states.net - 11k - Cached
      SS United States ... SS United States Conservancy's gorgeous wall calendar is ... local PBS affiliate airing SS United States: Lady in Waiting, please ...
      ssunitedstatesconservancy.org - 28k - Cached
      SS United States: Lady in Waiting. October 11, 2007. Conservancy Update June 28, 2007 ... Superliner SS United States Writes More Headlines! ...
      www.ssunitedstatesconservancy.org/ Main.html - 16k - Cached
      ... 1921 to 1989, and ocean liners until 1969¬ómost famously the SS United States. ... for her construction, the SS United States entered service in 1952. ...
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_ Lines - 28k - Cached
      Click HERE to enter the SS United States section of the Picture Gallery. More ... .com/pages/unitedstates/united states.htm - Kevin Tam's SS United States Page ...
      www.ocean-liners.com/ships/ unitedstates.asp - 13k - Cached
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2009

        Anyone to restore the SS UNITED STATES?

        Found this while visiting http://www.congress.org, a good site to visit for US congressional matters. Excellent site for communicating with your Senator or Representative.

        A web search reveals many fine sites devoted to the SS UNITED STATES.

        SAVE THE SS UNITED STATES
        FELLOW AMERICANS:

        I am writing to notify you of the potential loss of one of our nation's irreplaceable treasures, one no less historic than the Spirit of St. Louis, the Lunar Landing Module, and the Space Shuttle.

        The SS UNITED STATES, our nation's flagship, smashed all transatlantic speed records on her maiden voyage in 1952. Those records still remain unbroken by any passenger or naval vessel. Since 2003, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has owned this crowning achievement of American design and engineering with the stated intention of refurbishing her and returning her to service. However, Star Cruises, NCL's parent company, is now preparing to list the ship for sale. This means that there is a high probability that our national flagship, which still flies the U.S. flag, will likely be sold overseas for scrap, given present economic conditions and the current high prices for scrap steel and aluminum. We cannot allow this symbol of American ingenuity to meet such an ignoble fate.

        The SS UNITED STATES was listed on the National Register of Historic Places prior to the normal 50 year minimum age based upon the "compelling national significance" criterion. The pre-50 year inclusion is earned by fewer than two percent of all applicants. The SS UNITED STATES was one of America's "secret weapons" during the Cold War era and can, and should, once again become a symbol of American strength and resilience during this era of renewed hope in America's future.

        Designed to be easily converted into a troop ship, she was able to transit the Panama Canal and transport 15,000 troops over 10,000 miles without refueling. She embodied the triumphant spirit of post-WWII "can do" America. Built at Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company in Virginia, she never once experienced a mechanical mishap during 2,770,844 nautical miles and 17 years of service.

        Now, Americans must come together to save this inspirational national symbol for future generations. Recent tests have revealed that the ship's hull is still in near original condition. The SS UNITED STATES can serve us honorably as a vibrant example of the success of our new economic stimulus plans. Planned and executed correctly, she can help generate many jobs and much needed tax revenue. The ship is the perfect candidate for a public-private restoration project, whether as a stationary floating attraction and museum in a major American port city, or fully restored as a sea going ambassador ship.

        I hope you agree that scrapping is unacceptable for the crown jewel of the American Merchant Marine and I urge you to take action to prevent the SS UNITED STATES from being towed to the breakers. I welcome the opportunity to discuss these matters with you in greater detail.

        Sincerely,
      • capt.ob@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 12, 2009
          Dear Phelps, My late friend, Bill Krasnosky and Ca[ptain Frank Mederios both sailed in the SS United States out of New York....she was an NMU, MEBA, MM&P ship.....Currently there are no American Flag passenger ships sailing, to the best of my knowledge. .Kerry