Pacific Central Region Meeting, 10 May

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2008
      Members and friends,
      I have been holding off saying much about this special Navy League event till we received the region meeting flyer. It arrived this evening! I encourage attending - great opportunity to learn more about the Navy League, meet our national president, national staff, national directors, and of course members of other councils. Discussion will focus on:
      • Membership recruiting and retention. On this panel will be sea service recruiters as well as a few key Navy Leaguers.
      • Legislative affairs. The Navy League 2008 agenda clearly states more of just about everything for the sea services. For the merchant marine, more goods transported on United States ships staffed by United States citizens!
      We have fine attendance at our luncheon meetings - twenty-eight March 10th. Let's see if we can top that May 10th at the California Maritime Academy! Saturday activities are the heart of this special event but Friday evening at the Sharkey's lovely home will be special too.
      Arrive early Saturday morning for registration check in, good seating, time to enjoy breakfast, and time to socialize.
      There will be essentially two sessions with a short break between them. Another short break and then the luncheon with Mike McGrath, NLUS National President speaking. Mike is a great guy, I met him at the NLUS National Convention but we also corresponded back and forth for the past year. The NLUS staffer is a friend of councils and regions. Bill Waylett offers several training programs - I suspect NLUS grassroots legislative affairs will be his focus. If you have NLUS questions and I can't answer them adequately, these two can!
      The Academy's S. S. GOLDEN BEAR will not be dockside; it departed days before on the first of two student summer cruises. But for those who can stay beyond the luncheon we will visit, with one or more CMA docents, at least two of the marine engineering classroom facilities.
      I suggest both a Pacific Merchant Marine Council nametag and business cards. Both are available from the Navy League, http://navyleague.usptgear.com. I can easily produce the business cards - free for you. For attire, sport casual is appropriate, blue blazer, gray or tan slacks, if you so desire.
      Anchors Aweigh for a great Region Meeting!
      Phelps Hobart
      President, Pacific Merchant Marine Council
      Vice President - Membership, Pacific Central Region
      Vice President - Veteran Affairs, Pacific Central Region
      National Director