Invitation: Support for the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Contra Costa Fundraiser, Saturday, May 31st

    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2014

      Ahoy,

      Mental heath is a national concern as well a community concern. The Navy League itself has addressed one aspect of it with its national support for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT), http://navyleague.org/hbot/index.html.

      Below is a request on the local front. I received the message today from Pacific Merchant Marine Council member and friend Charlie Madison. Saturday, May 31st is a big day for Charlie and his wife Sharon – they are leading a team walking in Golden Gate Park fundraising walk supporting the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Contra Costa Chapter. Details along with a request for a financial donation and / or participation are below.

      I’ll repeat what he indicates:

      When the page opens click on Donate Now

      Next click on Team Search

      Type in Lets Walk NAMI CC

      Then click on Donate to Team

      Thank you all

      It would be wonderful to field one or more Navy League teams but walking with Charlie and Sharon and the Lets Walk NAMI CC team is second best. Visiting the website gets you started learning about NAMI, making a council or individual financial donation, and best of all breaking away to enjoy the day at Lindley Meadow, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, . NAMI Contra Costa will be serving lunch.  Thank you for sharing this message with others and engaging.

      Dear Family and Friends:

      As most of you know, our family has been challenged by a devastating disease that is not curable and has one of the most misunderstood, stigmatized diagnosis known on earth.  The sufferers of this condition did nothing to contract it and are helpless in its onset because it affects their brain. Laws, medical coverage and help for these afflicted sufferers are deplorable and in a state of mass confusion.  The frustration of our family in dealing with these terrible inadequacies have led us into a role of advocacy for these mistreated and austerized ill people since most of them are unable to champion for themselves.
      Statistics show that Contra Costa County alone has over 50,000 people affected by serious Mental Illness and that one in four families world-wide are affected.  The figures are staggering. According to statistics, Mental Illness is the number one cause of disability in the United States, Canada and Western Europe, second to none.
      We are joining an organized walk that is designed to try to bring awareness to the public of these horrific brain disorders that rob people of their lives and puts their life-long care fully upon their families and loved ones with very little help and compromised medical coverage.  This walk, as most organized walks, is conducted to raise funds for the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) which is a non-profit, grass roots organization designed to help assist families of the mentally ill deal with their ill loved ones by providing education and support.  I am content to know that I continue my advocacy with this e-mail and if you feel so inclined, all monies donated will be greatly appreciated.  These monies are used to fund free of charge programs offered to the public.  Our signature program is a 12-week educational program entitled Family to Family which is designed to educate and empower family members to become the case managers for their ill loved ones.  We sponsor many other programs all free of charge, many are designed for the mentally ill themselves.  At this time, I am teaching two Family to Family programs a year and facilitate a Support Group at John Muir Hospital once a month.  Charles has taken over the duties of President of the NAMI Contra Costa Affiliate.
      The link to the web site for the walk is www.namiwalkSFBay.org   - click on donate  - type in team name Lets Walk 2014 - and fill out the donation form and submit secure donation.  We will be walking with the team called "Lets Walk 2014".  If you choose to donate, please indicate NAMI Contra Costa on your donation and I thank you in advance for your generosity, any amount will be greatly appreciated.  I want to take this time to thank all who donated last year. Because of your generous donations in 2013, NAMI Contra Costa in 2014 is able to provide 10 Family 2 Family 12-week programs, 1 in Spanish, 1 for Veterans, 1 in Mandarin, two classes in East County and one in West County, approximately 80 "In Your Own Voice" presentations will be given by consumers in recovery, two 10-week Peer 2 Peer consumer programs, multiple support groups and a monthly speaker program.
      Thank you for your ear.  I know that all of you are dealing with your own situations and challenges so you may be able to relate to the feeling that sometimes a person gets when they have to do something and fight back.
      Love to all and may all your causes, challenges and passions be attainable,
      Charles and Sharon Madison
      The Walk will be held on Saturday, May 31st , Register online www.namiwalkSFbay.org
      Lindley Meadow, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco
      Check In 9:00, Opening Ceremony 10:25, Start 11:00, 3K - 5K - don't need to walk entire distance
      No fee to walk - donations optional - see website - PLEASE INDICATE NAMI CONTRA COSTA ON YOUR DONATION
      NAMI Contra Costa sponsors a lunch served at completion so look for the NAMI Contra Costa sign on the East side of the meadow
      We are part of the Team Name "Lets Walk 2014"

      GPS Location 30th and John F Kennedy Drive or Lindley Meadow
      Come Join Us - It's Going to be FUN!!!!!!!!!  Bring your kids, your dog, your kite, your layered play clothes
      The NAMI Walk is an important fund raising event to support NAMI Contra Costa in their work for the mentally ill and their families.
      You can also view information on the NAMI Contra Costa website www.namicontracosta.org