Heads Up: Captain Phillips opens October 11

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2013

      Captain Phillips.jpg

      Ahoy,

      Here is something special ahead - the Captain Phillips film is about to premier!

      Maybe our Pacific Merchant Marine Council can take advantage of the opening at a local AMC theater as a fundraiser? The exact theaters where it will premier isn’t yet available. Anyone care to run with this? Without volunteers from our membership it isn’t going to happen. I’ll check to see if another Bay Area council may like to team-up on this. Then there our the Sea Cadets as well.

      Captain Richard Phillips is a Life Member of the Navy League. His membership was presented to him June 13, 2009 with the League’s Admiral Arleigh Burke Leadership Award, the League’s most prestigious award; see http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=46188.

      See the 2:25 minutes trailer: http://www.amctheatres.com/movies/captain-phillips

      Phelps

      Synopsis

      In 2009, a crew of Somali pirates seized control of the US-flagged MV Maersk Alabama the first American cargo ship to be hijacked in 200 years. This real-life story has now been adapted into a film, directed by British director Paul Greengrass (the Bourne trilogy, United 93), and starring Tom Hanks as Captain Phillips, who was in charge of the US ship.

      The true story of the MV Maersk Alabama hijacking is the subject of Captain Phillips, a new thriller from Bourne Supremacy/Ultimatum director Paul Greengrass, who covered similarly harrowing real-world events in his 2006 9/11-inspired dramatic thriller, United 93.

      In the film Tom Hanks plays the titular captain Richard Phillips, whose ship was boarded in 2009 by four Somali pirates who then took crew members hostage. After some cat-and-mouse games for control of the vessel, the pirates fled with Captain Phillips as their prisoner. What would occur next was a multi-day standoff between the pirates, their comrades back in Somalia and the U.S. military basically the stuff good thrillers are made of.

      Captain Phillips will be in AMC theaters on October 11, 2013.

      Additional Synopsis

      Columbia Pictures' action-thriller Captain Phillips stars two-time OscarA winner Tom Hanks in the true story of Captain Richard Phillips and the 2009 hijacking by Somali pirates of the US-flagged MV Maersk Alabama, the first American cargo ship to be hijacked in two hundred years. The film is directed by OscarA nominee Paul Greengrass, from a screenplay by Billy Ray and based upon the book, A Captain's Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALs, and Dangerous Days at Sea, by Richard Phillips with Stephan Talty. The film is produced by Scott Rudin, Dana Brunetti, and Michael De Luca.

    • capt.ob@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2013

        Dear Phelps,

        Thanks for the"heads up"...I think this will be an exciting film!

        I know the Chief Officer's father....Captain Phillips and his deck officers are members of The International Organization of Masters, Mates & Pilots, ILA, AFL-CIO..the engineers are members of MEBA and the sailors are members of SIU.

        However, Maersk Alabama was not the first US Flag  ship highjacked in 200 years....

        I have transited many pirate infested waters in my seafaring career...

        I would remind you of 3 hijacking incidents  that happened when I was sailing:

        1968 USS Pueblo (North Koreans) 31 N Koreans discuised as S Korean soldiers got within 1 block of presidential palace..were caught and executed...Pueblo (a spook ship, spying on the N Koreans) seized in retaliation...15 miles off of Yo Do and island near Wosan..(In International waters)...attaked by 2 MiGs, 2 sub chasers, 4 torpedo boats....shots fired.......troops and civilian pilot boarded, and took the ship to Wosan......... First hijacking since Civil War...crew in prison for 11 months....

        SS Columbia Eagle 1970 (Third Mate sailed with me in another Victory ship, the Norwich Victory) he was the only deck officer they kept aboard, 24 others were put in a lifeboat..it took forever to be picked up, even though they were in busy shipping lanes, nobody picked them up for days...(we always avoid small craft as they could be pirates) Two hijackers turned the ship over in Phenom Phen to the Communist government, and asked for asylum....communist govt overthrown, they were jailed...both were later killed...

        Worst :  SS Mayaguez.( I had friends aboard)..seized by Kimer Rouge in  1975..2 years after Viet-Nam War was over...President Ford ordered Admiral Noel Gayler CINCPAC (My old Commanding Officer while serving in USS Ranger 1959-61)to respond immeadately with all force....Ford asked Kissinger to meet with PRC to release hostages...Our Marines landed...and rescued the Merchant Mariners...but not without horrible cost:

        Toll: 10 Marines, 2 AF killed...these are the last names mentioned on the Wall....FOR THE VIET-NAM WAR, AND OUR ONLY WARFIGHTING ENGAGEMENT WITH THE KHMER ROUGE....

        3 Marines captured and executed

        35 Marines, 6 AF wounded.

        All in all, the Maersk Alabama turned out pretty well. Captain Phillips showed a steady hand at the helm, leadership, courage, and a genuine concern for his crew, ship and cargo.....all in the proud tradition of the sea.

        God Bless,

        Kerry

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2013

          Show time!

          Here are four brief Maritime TV interviews from the New Your premier of Captain Phillips

          ·         Tom Hanks

          ·         Captain Richard Phillips

          ·         Barkhad Abdi, Role of Muse

          ·         Paul Greengrass, Director

          The four of them together give strength on why the Navy League has a Merchant Marine Council.

          Total time: slightly over four minutes.

          The event took place on October 2, 2013 at The Newseum, Washington, D.C.) Maritime TV’s Sarah Selz was on hand to get the interviews.

          The movie, with a release date of October 11, 2013 depicts the true story of Captain Richard Phillips and the 2009 hijacking by Somali pirates of the US-flagged MV Maersk Alabama, the first American cargo ship to be hijacked in two-hundred years

          http://www.maritime-executive.com/article/Captain-Phillips-Movie-Premier-Screening-Video-Interviews-2013-10-04

          To know where and when it showing: http://www.google.com/movies?near=San+Francisco&hl=en&sort=1&mid=f9966e7f311d5e0a&ei=18ZQUoS0K8btiQKgmYHQBw That’s just metro San Francisco; enter your city in the box upper left and a similar report will be provided. Also check out: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535109; again you can change the location.

          Also check out:

          Smooth Sailing for Captain Phillips [MarEx Movie Review]

          Captain Phillips Movie Review from Massachusetts Maritime Academy

          Book Review: A Captain's Duty by Captain Richard Phillips

          Maritime TV http://www.maritimetv.com A beautiful remembrance tribute to those who lost their lives in the Washington Navy Yard and Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) on the front page. For more on MaritimeTV: http://www.maritimetv.com/FeaturedContent/MaritimeTVUpcomingandRecentWebcastEvents.aspx.

          Anyone to arrange for and willing to staff a NLUS information table at one of the theaters at a local premier?