Action in the North Atlantic (1943) on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) 0815 PST Thursday 21 February
- Heads Up - Pass the Word.Action in the North Atlantic returns this morning.Consider purchase or rental of the DVD.PhelpsPhelps HobartPresidentPacific Merchant Marine CouncilNavy League of the United StatesPO Box 191403Sacramento CA 95819-1403(916) 739-6949 | (916) 955-3972 Cell | PMMC at cwo dot com______________________________________________The Navy League of the United States, founded with President Roosevelt's encouragement in 1902, is a civilian organization with more than 60,000 members. The League is focused on reminding the American public and government officials that the United States is a maritime nation and that its national defense and economic well being are dependent upon strong sea services - the Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and U. S. Flag Merchant Marine. NLUS and its councils sponsor activities, events, and awards along with supporting military and Sea Cadet units. Its monthly magazine Sea Power focuses on United States maritime defense news. The council publishes its newsletter Captain's Call every two months.The Pacific Merchant Marine Council was chartered 11 December 2006. Luncheon meetings aboard the National Liberty Ship Memorial S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, Pier 45, San Francisco the 2nd Monday in March, June, September, and December are open to the public.___________________________________________They didn't sail powerful destroyers or fill the skies with waves of carrier-borne fighters, but the men of the US Merchant Marine nevertheless fought and won the second world war's most crucial and consistently bloody battles - the Battle of the Atlantic. This excellent film follows the travails of a merchantman bound for Russia's arctic port of Murmansk with a cargo of materials the Russians need to keep the Germans pegged on the eastern front. Through the war, American convoys sailed mass-built "Liberty Ships" through waters teeming with German planes, cruisers and U-Boats to keep both England and Russia properly equipped. While tides of war may have shifted thruought the war, allied convoys faced constant attacks by axis units until the end, relying mainly on their ability to absorb severe casualties.
"Action" has winning performances by Humphrey Bogart and Ray Massey, and a fine supporting crew that sounds like they may have actually sailed the dreaded "Murmansk Run". The special effects are astoundingly good for 1943 and hold up pretty well today. The Germans are perfect as skilled hunters - I still get a chill during the battle scenes when whole crews utter "torpedo - los!" -
- Shop for Action In the North Atlantic at Target. Choose from a wide range of Books. Expect More, Pay Less at Target.comwww.target.com/Action-North-Atlantic- Gilpatric-Guy/dp/1889901156
- Amazon.com: Action in the North Atlantic: Video: Humphrey Bogart,Raymond Massey,Alan Hale,Julie Bishop,Ruth Gordon,Sam Levene,Dane Clark,Peter Whitney,Dick ...www.amazon.com/Action-North-Atlantic- Humphrey-Bogart/dp/0790748789 - 194k - Cached
- Action In The North Atlantic Trailer, Reviews, Schedule, Photos and Action In The North Atlantic Cast on TVGuide.com ... posts for Action In The North Atlantic. ...www.tvguide.com/movies/action-north-atlantic/100686 - 29k - Cached
- Action in the North Atlantic. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Jump ... Action in the North Atlantic is a 1943 war drama, featuring Humphrey Bogart as a ...en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_in_the_North_Atlantic - 24k - Cached
- Action in the North Atlantic movie posters and other memorabilia - buy from MovieGoods ... Looking for a copy of the movie "Action in the North Atlantic" ...www.moviegoods.com/movie_ product.asp?master_movie_id=24823 - 41k - Cached
- Amazon.com: Action in the North Atlantic - Authentic Region 1 DVD from Warner Brothers starring Humphrey Bogart, Raymond Massey & Alan Hale: Movies & TV: Humphrey ...www.amazon.com/Action-North-Atlantic- Authentic-Brothers/dp/B000J6Y92A - 183k - Cached
- An overview of Action in the North Atlantic, including cast and credit details, a review summary, and more. ... peasants, Action in the North Atlantic fades ...movies.nytimes.com/movie/764/Action-in- the-North-Atlantic/overview - 44k
- If you saw the presentation of Action in the North Atlantic you got a hint of why I consider it a unique honor and privilege to be the president of the Pacific Merchant Marine Council and to associate with American Merchant Marine Veterans.I hope you too feel something special being a part of our new council. With an overriding mission to support United States flag merchant shipping and crews of United States citizens we are a unique Navy League council.It is also fitting that our council's first adoption was the National Liberty Ship Memorial S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN. What a treasure Adm. Patterson and his crew rescued from the MARAD reserve fleet.Right after installation at our December 10th luncheon I signed up to be a member of the crew. If you are not on-board, no time like the here an now to join as well, http://www.ssjeremiahobrien.org/membership.html.It won't be a lot of money unless we get a considerably larger attendance at our luncheons but $8 of each $20 luncheon-meeting charge is going toward the preservation of the ship.Anchors Aweigh,PhelpsPS Have you sent in your check to reserve a place at our 10 March luncheon-meeting?
Re: Action in the North Atlantic (1943) on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) 0815 PST Thursday 21 February
--- In PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com, "Phelps Hobart" <nlsac@...> wrote:
Heads Up - Pass the Word.
Action in the North Atlantic returns this morning.
Consider purchase or rental of the DVD.