Final Call: Invitation: Navy League Shipboard Luncheon Tuesday, June 11, 2013
- Ahoy Members and Friends,I'll give the caterer a number for meals to prepare Monday morning, June 10.If you have yet to indicate you will be attending or that you will be bringing additional guests, please simply hit reply and let me know.It is a joy to work with the US Merchant Marine Academy Alumni, San Francisco Chapter. This is our second luncheon with the group. See you there- come early to network/socialize. Members stay on for a brief business meeting.Re: America's Cup
When Billionaire Sets Rules, Its an Exclusive Race. Victory in the Americas Cup of 2010 gave Larry Ellison, the tech titan, software company, Oracle who had spent hundreds of millions of dollars to capture sailings ultimate prize, the right to set the rules for this years regatta. His expensive new requirement for boat design has led to a dearth of contestants at the Americas Cup, and San Francisco leaders are raising doubts about the races benefits for the city amid lagging interest http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/04/us/americas-cup-sailing-race-faces-challenges-in-san-francisco.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0May 9, 2013 ... Larry Ellison planned the biggest, fastest and most exciting yacht race in history. Then Team Oracle wrecked one of his massive catamaranshttp://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/05/americas-cup-boat-crashRe: Fleet WeekThere has been no public announcement on San Francisco Fleet Week since it was announced April 9th that the Blue Angels will not be flying. San Francisco city officials expressed concern that the Fleet Week Parade of Ships could also be jeopardy due to federal budget cuts. Fleet Week previously attracted one million spectators and was a major economic boost to the city of San Francisco. A scaled-back event is still in planning.Heave Ho,Phelps
Pacific Merchant Marine Council
You are cordially invited to our Spring into Summer Shipboard Luncheon
Date: Tuesday, 11 June 2013
Time: Social 1100 ~ Catered Hot Lunch 1200 - 1300
Place: National Historic Ship Memorial S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, Pier 45, San Francisco
Program: Panel Discussion ~ "On the Bay ~ America's Cup, Fleet Week, and "
Cost: $20 paid aboard ~ Reservations essential, (916) 739-6949 or PMMC@...
- Donations in addition always appreciated they help us support the OBRIEN and the Sea Cadets
- Guests welcome complementary lunch for guests who join the Navy League and affiliate with the council
- Menu features a catered hot buffet meal by 907 Grill, Benicia , http://www.907grill.com
- Beer, wine and soft drinks/bottled water hosted by the San Francisco Chapter, United States Merchant Marine Academy Alumni Association
- Fund-raising "Opportunity To Win" (50 50 drawing) to support the National Liberty Ship Memorial S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN
- Carpooling encouraged
- Complementary parking in JEREMIAH OBRIEN designated parking spaces within Shed C adjacent to the ship ~ leave this invitation on dashboard
- Pacific Merchant Marine Council business meeting following luncheon; nominations, election, and installation of officers and directors
- Docent lead ship tours available; ship museum open
- Information: Phelps Hobart, Executive Director, (916) 739-6949, PMMC@...
- Next luncheon scheduled: September 2013
The Americas Cup 'Summer of Racing' on San Francisco Bay starts July 4th and includes three months of hard-fought competition, culminating with the best two teams in the world dueling for the oldest trophy in international sport, http://www.americascup.com/experience. The SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN has possibly the best shore side seats available, http://www.ssjeremiahobrien.org.
San Francisco Fleet Week remains scheduled for October 10 -14. Though the Blue Angels will not be flying, the San Francisco Fleet Week Association is continuing to plan other events including the Parade of Ships, Humanitarian Assistance, and Disaster Response Training, http://www.fleetweek.us.
Tom Ehman, Golden Gate Yacht Club Vice Commodore, has confirmed he will be giving the America's Cup presentation, Tuesday, June 11, aboard the National Liberty Ship Memorial SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN. For a hint on what he will be presenting start with this exciting three minute video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6dnOlE9sjk. The San Francisco Yacht Club is the sponsoring club.
Mr. Ehman is the only person of long-standing involvement in the Cup who has worked only for American campaigns New York YC, San Diego YC, St. Francis YC, and now Golden Gate YC. http://www.scyc.org/corinthians/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/TFE-AC-bio-3-Jul-11.pdf
Sorry, the Golden Gate Yacht Club is the sponsoring club.
Tom Ehman, Golden Gate Yacht Club Vice Commodore, has confirmed he will be giving the America's Cup presentation, Tuesday, June 11, aboard the National Liberty Ship Memorial SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN. For a hint on what he will be presenting see some of the exciting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/AmericasCup . The Golden Gate Yacht Club is the sponsoring club, http://www.ggyc.com.
Mr. Ehman is the only person of long-standing involvement in the Cup who has worked only for American campaigns New York YC, San Diego YC, St. Francis YC, and now Golden Gate YC. http://www.scyc.org/corinthians/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/TFE-AC-bio-3-Jul-11.pd