Presidential Proclamation -- National Maritime Day, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2013

      National Maritime Day 2013 Recognizes America's Merchant Marine

      Each year on May 22 our country celebrates National Maritime Day.

      This observance recognizes America’s Merchant Marine for all the great contributions and sacrifices they’ve made – and still make today – for our country.

      The United States has always been and will always be a great maritime nation. From our origins as 13 British colonies, through every period of peace and conflict since, the Merchant Marine has been a pillar in this country’s foundation of prosperity and security. They power the world’s largest economy and strengthen our ties with trading partners around the world, all while supporting our military forces by shipping troops and supplies wherever they need to go.

      This year, ceremonies and celebrations throughout the country will recognize Maritime Day and the people our maritime nation depends on.

      Maritime Day is a time-honored tradition that recognizes one of our country's most important industries.

      For Maritime Administrator David Matsuda's comments see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN5AZp23n9o&feature=player_embedded.

      The White House

      Office of the Press Secretary

      For Immediate Release
      May 21, 2013

      Presidential Proclamation -- National Maritime Day, 2013

      NATIONAL MARITIME DAY, 2013

      http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/05/21/presidential-proclamation-national-maritime-day-2013

      - - - - - - -

      BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

      A PROCLAMATION

      Through every chapter of the American story, ordinary men and women have accomplished extraordinary things as members of the United States Merchant Marine. When the idea of America depended on the success of a revolution, mariners took on the world's most powerful navy and helped secure our future as a sovereign Nation. In the decades since, they have sustained critical supply lines for our troops abroad -- at times enduring profound losses to keep our sea lanes open. And through war and peace alike, the Merchant Marine has driven our economic growth by shipping our products all around the world. On National Maritime Day, we honor the generations of mariners who have served and sacrificed to make our country what it is today.

      To keep America moving forward in the 21st century, we need to expand trade and commerce that creates good jobs for our people. Businesses in every corner of our country are stepping up to meet that challenge, ramping up manufacturing and selling more goods and services overseas. As they do, our Merchant Marine is making sure our products get wherever they need to go -- from ports here at home to new markets halfway across the globe. Their work is essential to growing our economy, and my Administration remains committed to getting our mariners the support they need to carry out their mission.

      Whether equipping our service members in the theater of war or guiding our maritime industry in the calm of peace, the United States Merchant Marine has helped keep America strong for more than two centuries. Let us mark this day by reflecting on that legacy of service, honoring the men and women who forged it, and saluting the proud mariners who carry it forward today.

      The Congress, by a joint resolution approved May 20, 1933, has designated May 22 of each year as "National Maritime Day," and has authorized and requested the President to issue annually a proclamation calling for its appropriate observance.

      NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim May 22, 2013, as National Maritime Day. I call upon the people of the United States to mark this observance and to display the flag of the United States at their homes and in their communities. I also request that all ships sailing under the American flag dress ship on that day.

      IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-first day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand thirteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-seventh.

      BARACK OBAMA

      National Maritime Day Event

      Aboard the US DOT Maritime Administration MV CAPE ORLANDO

      Wednesday, 22 MAY / 1100-1200

      Picture

      Location:

      1499 Ferry Point Road, Alameda, CA 94501

      1100-1130: Speeches in outdoor (covered) bay – Mayor of Alameda, Reading of the Presidential Proclamation, Ship Recognition, and other speeches

      1130-1200: Shipboard tours (announced at conclusion of ceremony)

      Attending Organizations:

      · US Navy Operational Support Center Alameda

      · Navy League

      · USCG Sector San Francisco

      · Maritime Industry & other Stakeholders

      · City of Alameda

      Maritime displays & handouts

      Public welcome (visitors must sign liability forms upon entry)

      Parking available as marked adjacent to the ship.

      Contact: CDR Kurt Birkhahn, (415) 740-9887, kwbirkahn@...

      National Maritime Day Ceremony Sacramento, CA
      Wednesday, 1100 May 22, 2013
      Location: Between Tower Bridge and Embassy Suites, 100 Capitol Mall, Sacramento
      Sponsored by the Sacramento Valley Chapter, American Merchant Marine Veterans
      and
      Pacific Merchant Marine Council, Navy League of the United States
      The Presidential Proclamation will be read, all who served will be remembered,
      and discussion will follow on the present and future of our nation's merchant marine.
      A luncheon at Embassy Suites concludes the activities.
      Contact: Phelps Hobart, (916) 739-6949, PMMC@...