Invitation: World War II Veterans to be Honored at Historic Pier 45 Sunday, April 28, 3:30pm
Having trouble viewing this email? Click herePort of San Francisco to Honor World War II Veterans as highlight of 150th Anniversary CelebrationSunday, April 28, 3:30pm, Pier 45 Plaza
(at USS Pampanito)
The Port of San Francisco is joining with members of Historic Pier 45 in Fisherman's Wharf to honor the Bay Area's World War II veterans and their families. On Sunday, April 28th, starting at 3:30pm, the Port will hold a
special memorial ceremony on Pier 45 (at the USS Pampanito).
The Bay Area's citizens and maritime industry played a vital role in our nation's successful fight for freedom around the world in the 1940s. From the massive shipbuilding effort and 'Rosie the Riveter' to the brave Merchant Mariners and Armed Forces personnel who served in hostile forward positions, many of whom made the ultimate sacrifice, World War II made an indelible impact on the Bay Area that is still felt today.
Through its two history museums, the USS Pampanito and the SS Jeremiah O'Brien, Pier 45 is the only location on San Francisco's waterfront dedicated to preserving maritime icons and educating future generations about this important chapter in world history and the key roles played by Bay Area heroes. With its newly renovated entrance plaza and a bright future ahead as an important historic Fisherman's Wharf attraction, Pier 45 is the perfect location to honor World War II veterans and their families on April 28th, in partnership with the Port of San Francisco.
Visitors of all ages are cordially invited to join us for a 30-minute program featuring a color guard presentation of flags, speeches from Port and City officials and a historical keynote perspective honoring the Bay Area's vital World War II contributions.
Note, the O'Brien will remain pierside for the day. Both the Pampanito and the O'Brien will be offering special pricing throughout the day of only $5 for museum visitors ages 13 and above, with children 12 and under receiving free admission.Port of San Francisco's 150th Anniversary Celebration"Maritime Day on the Waterfront"
For those interested in spending the day in San Francisco prior to attending the Veteran's tribute on Pier 45 at 3:30pm, below is the full list of activities that will be happening along the waterfront throughout the day. Read More
10am - 5pm
- Public Boat tours sponsored by Blue & Gold Fleet, Red & White Fleet and Hornblower Cruises located at Piers 3, 31 and 41.
- Discount specials at participating hotels and restaurants through the entire Fisherman's Wharf area.
- Free or discounted admission to:
- Pier 45 USS Pampanito and SS Jeremiah O'Brien
- Hyde Street Pier historic ships
- Aquarium of the Bay, Pier 39
- Exploratorium, Pier 17 - Bay Observatory exhibit
- SF Waterfront Photo Exhibit and Lectures, Port Offices, Pier 1 - free admission
- Interactive art exhibit, Blue Trail, Pier 14
- SF Giants public tours of AT&T Ballpark
- Open studio at Noonan Building, Pier 70
The San Francisco Maritime National Park Association is pleased to be participating in this wonderful event and we hope to see you there!Sincerely,
- Open House - EcoCenter at Heron's Head Park, Pier 98
San Francisco Maritime National Park AssociationSan Francisco Maritime National Park Association | P.O. Box 470310 | San Francisco | CA | 94147-0310