Invitation: Port of San Francisco 150th Anniversary activities April 28, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2013

      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council celebrates with our Community Affiliate member the Port of San Francisco its 150th Anniversary, April 28, 2013!

      On this day in 1863, the Port was established with the Legislature’s creation of the State Harbor Commission which oversaw the development of the Port, especially the building of the Seawall that continues to serve today. For perspective, the Port’s heritage began just following the Gold Rush era during President Abraham Lincoln’s term, and during the Civil War. For more on the history see http://sfport.com/index.aspx?page=2233.

      Three major shoreline activities are involved with the celebration – in addition to all the Opening Day on the Bay activities on the water, http://www.picya.org/Opening-Day-2013-PayPal.html.
      • Maritime Day on the Waterfront, Sunday, April 28, 2013 — 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Maritime Day is a family oriented daylong public celebration of events and activities along the waterfront from Hyde Street Pier in the north to Heron’s Head Park (Pier 98) in the south – 10:00 a.m. to 5:00p.m. For additional information including the schedule of activities see http://sfport.com/index.aspx?page=2232#maritimedayschedule.

      • Port History Tour  Iconic historical photographs and stories showcase the history of the waterfront as it transformed, influenced and evolved with the City. Throughout the year, the city will be able to experience the History Tour three different ways: in person (along the waterfront), online (on the website http://sfport.com/index.aspx?page=2234), or online through a mobile tour optimized for viewing with a smartphone.

      • Port History Tour, Sunday, April 28, 2013 — 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. The treasure hunt in collaboration with SFTreasureHunts.com. involves solving mysteries and riddles, each leading to a unique and little know waterfront location – a historical plaque, a hidden view, or an architectural gem – that few tourists ever see. The team that solves the most clues and plans their route around the playing area most strategically wins the hunt. For more on the History Tour see http://sfport.com/index.aspx?page=2235.

      The Port of San Francisco thanks all its supporters, sponsors, and contributors for helping to coordinate our 150th Anniversary celebrations. Yes, I'm listed along with a few other council members; for the list see http://sfport.com/index.aspx?page=2227.