California Maritime Leadership Symposium Wrap-up

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2013

    www.maritimesymposium.com

    Ahoy Members and Friends,

    Fifteen members, possibly more, registered and attended the 13th Annual California Maritime Leadership Symposium in Sacramento, Wednesday and Thursday, February 20 - 21.

    The annual Symposium encourages productive dialogue among maritime industry leaders and is a excellent means to effectively communicate port needs to California state officials. It was organized by a coalition including the California Association of Port Authorities (CAPA), California Marine Affairs and Navigation Conference (CMANC), California Marine & Intermodal Transportation System Advisory Council (CALMITSAC), the Harbor Association of Industry and Commerce, the Propeller Club of Los Angeles/Long Beach and The California Maritime Academy.

    Here are some of the council members I chatted with during Symposium "networking breaks."
    • John Amos, Amos Logistics, LLC ~ Member
    • John Coleman, Executive Director, Bay Planning Coalition ~ Council Director
    • Sebron Flenaugh, Graduating student, MS Transportation and Engineering Management, California Maritime Academy ~ Member
    • Robert D. Dockendorff, Chairman Emeritus California Marine & Intermodal Transportation System Advisory Council ~ Member
    • James Haussener, Executive Director, California Marine Affairs and. Navigation Conference ~ Member
    • John Hummer, Director, Maritime Administration Northern California Gateway ~ Council Director
    • Ellen Joslin Johnck, Ellen Joslin Johnck Consulting ~ Council Director
    • Lynn Korwatch, Executive Director, Marine Exchange of the San Francisco Bay Region ~ Member
    • Stas Margaronis, Coordinator, Rebuilt the United States ~ Council Director
    • William D. Nickson, Regional General Manager, Transmarine Navigation Company ~ Member
    • Tim Schott, Executive Director, California Association of Port Authorities ~ Member
    • Elizabeth Warren, Executive Director, FuturePorts ~ Member
    • Monika Wegener, Executive Director, Harbor Association of Industry and Commerce ~ Member
          And new members:
    • Frances Keeler, Attorney, Keesal, Young & Logan also President, FuturePorts ~ Member
    • Gary L. Gregory, Chief, Marine Facilities Division California State Lands Commission also Chairman, California Marine & Intermodal Transportation System Advisory Council ~ Member

    We had several panelists last year - this year Bill Nickson was up front telling us about the duties and responsibilities of a shipping agent. Find out more at http://www.transmarine.com.

    Bill Nickson of Transmarine Navigation Corporation speaking on Shipping Agencies

    The California State Lands Commission was the 2013 Symposium Honoree of Merit and Captain Richard B. McKenna, Executive Director of the Marine Exchange of Southern California, the 3rd annual Gary L. Gregory Lifetime Achievement Award recipient. The California State Lands Commission and Captain McKenna were honored in the State Capitol during a special reception at the 13th Annual California Maritime Leadership Symposium.

    The council and its members, more than ever, are engaged in the maritime industry. We continue to welcome new members and look forward to industry events and activities as well as our own in support of the industry. I have again attached our one page "About Us 2013" which defines our position within the Navy League and the industry. To see where we have been simply review the posts at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS/messages. For our many world wide web links http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS/links.