Merchant Marine Seminar New York City 20 February (and other news)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2008
      Consistently, when the New York Council has an event, it is one to remember. If you would like more on this seminar and the NYC Council visit www.nynavyleague.org.

      While surfing e-Bay for Navy League items earlier this month I came across the program of the council's 50th anniversary of the founding of the League. The League started with the NYC Council. It was a very attractive bound hardcover book! I notified Rick that there was only a few hours left in the auction. He ended up with the high bid!

      A few years ago the NYC council had a mid-day AMMV memorial service at Manhattan's St. Patrick's Cathedral. I have approached Dean Alan Jones of San Francisco's Grace Cathedral about doing a similar mid-day service May 22nd - National Maritime Day. Don't put it on your calendar yet - it is not in concrete. Anyone care to chair this event?

      Still working on assembling the 1st quarter 2008 PMMC Captain's Call. If you have material that should be included in the newsletter or posted to our website, please forward it to me.

      Our PMMC Spring Luncheon 1130, Monday, 10 March aboard the O'BRIEN is coming together nicely. Save the date and invite friends.

      Anchors Aweigh,

      Phelps
      (916) 955-3972 cell

      Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:05 PM
      Subject: Merchant Marine Seminar

      GOOD DAY TO ALL!  The New York Council of the Navy League is pleased to announce and invite you to a luncheon seminar panel on the status of the U.S. Merchant Fleet, featuring former Maritime Administrator VADM Albert Herberger; Mr. Jim Caponiti of MARAD; and CAPT Alphonso Woods, USN of the Military Sealift Command on Wednesday, February 20th at 12:00 Noon, at the New York Athletic Club.  Details and a registration form are attached.  This is a rare opportunity to receive an authoritative, comprehensive briefing on the status of the U.S. Merchant Marine.  Please disseminate this information to others in your E-mail directory who might benefit from this presentation.  A question and answer session will follow. We hope the local port community will be well represented at this informative, social networking opportunity.  Thanks, and we look forward to seeing you there!  RICK

      RICK KENNEY, Executive Director
      New York Council, Navy League
      USCG Battery Park Building
      1 South Street