Bay Planning Coalition January 2013 Newsletter

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2013
      Bay Planning Coalition January 2013 Newsletter
      Ahoy Members and Friends,
      This message slipped by me - but better late than never to pass it along. Three items of special note:
      • Bay Planning Coalition 2012 Annual Assessment and 2013 Work Plan, http://bayplanningcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/Assessment-and-Work-Plan-FINAL-DRAFT.pdf. A well prepared 14 page document filled with information.
      • The 2013 Decisionmakers Conference, “Fueling California’s Economic Engine and Jobs: The Importance of Trade to Northern California,” will be held on Friday, May 3, 2013, in Oakland. Please mark your calendars, and watch the Bay Planning Coalition website, http://bayplanningcoalition.org,�for further developments! Pacific Merchant Marine Council members will be attending - how about you?
      • “Sink or Swim as Bay Waters Rise?” A free panel discussion on sea level rise hosted by the America’s Cup Healthy Ocean Project and the Aquarium of the Bay. Regretfully fully booked but some of our members will be in attendance 5:30 pm February 7 at the Bayside Conference Room,�Port of San Francisco, Pier 1.
      The council is engaged with things maritime and our council membership with the Bay Planning Coalition is integral to that involvement.�December 13�Roger Bazeley attended the Coalition's luncheon/annual meeting at the St. Francis Yacht Club.
      If you are not on the Coalition's E-mail list and you are interested, visit the website and sign-up. Don't expect all their messages we receive to be forwarded on.

      Sent: Monday, January 21, 2013
      Subject: Bay Planning Coalition January 2013 Newsletter

      Click to view this email in a browser

      new-year2-left.gifnew-year2-top.gif
      Dear Phelps,

      We hope 2013 finds you well!�

      To kick off the new year, Bay Planning Coalition has lots of great news to share!

      gold-star

      These review and strategy documents are the result of a great deal of analysis and collaboration between the BPC Board of Directors, staff, and consultants, and represent the achievements of the past year and the direction of the coming year for our coalition.

      gold-star
      SAVE THE DATE:

      The 2013 Decisionmakers Conference, “Fueling California’s Economic Engine and Jobs: The Importance of Trade to Northern California,” will be held on Friday, May 3, 2013, in Oakland. Please mark your calendars, and watch our website for further developments!

      gold-star

      Speaking of the website…

      BPC looks forward to unveiling a brand new and improved website within the next month, featuring a modernized and streamlined design, easy navigation and searching, a document library, well-categorized news resources, highlighted events, photos, and much more. The web address will stay the same: keep checking www.bayplanningcoalition.org for all your SF Bay Maritime, environmental, regulatory, and public policy related news.

      gold-star

      Also:

      In March, BPC will be organizing a workshop focusing on Cap and Trade in California. Stay tuned to bayplanningcoalition.org for updates.

      Bay Planning Coalition would like to thank its departing board members for their service and dedication. We will miss them on the Board and wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors:
      • Amy Cameron, Port of West Sacramento
      • Dave Jefferson, Burdell Properties
      • Lou Armstrong, URS
      We also wish to welcome six new board members!
      • Phil Tagami, California Capital & Investment Group
      • Mike Luken, Port of West Sacramento
      • Tom Guarino, Pacific Gas & Electric
      • Amy Breckenridge, ARCADIS US, Inc.
      • Grant Davis, Sonoma County Water Agency
      • Scott Bodensteiner, Weston Solutions

      This Month's Member Spotlight: ARCADIS, US Inc.

      Every month, BPC will profile a member organization in order to better spread the word about the specialties and interests of our diverse membership base. This month:

      arcadis

      ARCADIS is an international company providing consultancy, design, engineering and management services in infrastructure, water, environment and buildings. We enhance mobility, sustainability and quality of life by creating balance in the built and natural environments. ARCADIS develops, designs, implements, maintains and operates projects for companies and governments. With 21,000 employees and more than $3.2 billion in revenues, the company has an extensive international network supported by strong local market positions. The U.S. operating company of ARCADIS is about 6,200 strong with 700 staff in 30 offices in California.�

      Infrastructure

      � Quality of life and livelihoods depend on the infrastructure systems upon which they rely. At ARCADIS, we create connections -- balancing technical and community needs and delivering tailored, cost-effective solutions to the most complex mobility challenges. The result is efficient, well-running transportation systems that move goods and people safely and contribute to quality of life to our communities. Our infrastructure services include railways, roadways, information transportation systems/geospatial information systems, ports, bridges and tunnels.�

      Water

      �� From source to tap – and then back to the natural environment – our engineers, scientists and consultants are driven to provide safe and adequate water supplies to help communities and industry thrive. Through our vast global expertise, we deliver comprehensive environmental engineering and management consulting services to solve our clients’ most complex water challenges. From water management and flood protection, and drinking water supply, treatment and distribution to wastewater collection, treatment and reuse, stormwater management and green infrastructure, and water conveyance, we offer total water cycle solutions, managing water from start to finish.�

      Environment

      �� In today’s world, capital projects are likely to have an environmental component. To answer this need, ARCADIS has created a diversified company offering our clients an array of services across the project value chain. From environmental remediation, impact assessments and consultation on corporate energy management to incident response and recovery, health and safety, and regulatory and waste-management issues, we develop, support, implement, maintain and improve environmental policies, strategies and actions for industry and government.

      Buildings

      �� ARCADIS maintains a full-service buildings design practice. Its focus is to provide architecture and engineering services for commercial, retail, industrial, hospitality, government and academic facilities, and to maximize the value of built assets and delivering places of distinction. Our capabilities include architecture and engineering; system integration, fabrication and commissioning; surveys; ADA audits and assessments; LEED certification; feasibility studies; interior design; value engineering; construction management; and master planning and programming.

      Projects:
      1

      San Francisco Bay: Preparing for the Next Level:

      The shoreline of San Francisco Bay is extremely vulnerable to the impacts of sea level rise. Approximately $64 billion in property value on 240 square miles of Bay shoreline is at risk of significant flooding. ARCADIS is assisting Bay Area agencies in assessing risks and developing adaptation strategies. We developed a decision support tool for planners and decision makers to develop their own shoreline adaptation strategies. ARCADIS led a team of U.S. and Dutch engineers and scientists in investigating sea level rise impacts on the shoreline of San Francisco Bay and developing appropriate strategies for adaptation. This study was the first ever project of an alliance between the Netherlands and California on climate change adaptation.

      San Francisco Bay: Former Chemical Manufacturing Plant (86 acres): ARCADIS has been conducting environmental investigations related to soil, sediment, soil vapor, groundwater, pore water quality and remedial actions (including the reclamation of wetlands) at a Former Chemical Manufacturing Plant. Portions of the site have undergone extensive remedial activities including the injection of substrates to remediate groundwater containing VOCs, the installation of a biologically active permeable barrier to treat metal affected groundwater, and the excavation of PCBs, VOCs, pesticides, and metals affected soil. The investigative and remedial work has been conducted in accordance with an order prepared by the DTSC.

      2

      Frank’s Tract Three Mile Slough Salinity Control Barrier:
      As part of improving the water quality and fish migration through the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta, the California Department of Resources and the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation are considering the construction of salinity control barriers. ARCADIS completed the evaluation of suitable gate types in the 550 feet wide Three Mile Slough that connects the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers. For the project, also known as the Frank’s Tract Gates, ARCADIS conducted the 30 percent mechanical and structural design of a bottom hinged flap gate and adjacent lock facility for boat passage.

      gold-star
      Upcoming Events of Note:

      • “Sink or Swim as Bay Waters Rise?” A free panel discussion on sea level rise hosted by the America’s Cup Healthy Ocean Project and the Aquarium of the Bay. View details and register for the event here.

      gold-star

      A Summary of the Dec. 12, 2012 US Army Corps of Engineers Civil Works Transformation Discussion has been posted on the BPC webpage.� Bay Planning Coalition will be working with the Corps in the coming months to facilitate future meetings on this subject: Watch the website for more information.

      gold-star

      Finally, we are thrilled to have been able to donate a full $5,000 in matching funds to non-profit educational provider The Marine Science Institute
      before the end of 2012.

      Please click HERE to read their letter of thanks to BPC.

      Thank you to those members who donated and helped make our match possible, and a special thanks to Cargill for their amazing generosity.

      Click here to forward this email to a friend

      Bay Planning Coalition
      Two Roundhouse Plaza
      10 Lombard Street, Suite 408
      San Francisco, California 94111