- Ahoy Members and Friends, Let s tune in Sunday morning to see our adopted SS United States! Now a message on our council messages. Currently about three postsMessage 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2013View SourceAhoy Members and Friends,Let's tune in Sunday morning to see our adopted SS United States!Now a message on our council messages. Currently about three posts a week are being sent out to you. Anticipate in the next few months an increase to four a week as the council and our associates steam up in the months ahead. Too many? You can change your delivery. These are the options:
The Pacific Merchant Marine Council uses "social media" to communicate with members, friends, and the public at large. It has one primary website, the Yahoo Group, and several additional. In addition it is listed elsewhere with brief text and the linking URL.Primary:
- Individual Delivery - Most Common among us.
- Daily Digest - A few have this option; insures no more than one message a day.
- Special Notices - A special message is exceptional - since inception in January 2007 there have been none. To keep informed of council news and activities you have to visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS.
- No Email - You will not receive any messages. To keep informed of council news and activities you have to visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS.
- Unsubscribe - You still have access to our posts and links if you visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS. The general pubic has this option.
- PMMC-NLUS - Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS
Keep in touch.Heave Ho,PhelpsPhelps HobartExecutive DirectorPacific Merchant Marine Council(916) 739-6949----- Original Message -----Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:28 AMSubject: SS United States to Set Sail on CBS Sunday Morning
- Navy League of the United States, Pacific Merchant Marine Council, http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Navy-League-United-States-Pacific-2544631?trk=myg_ugrp_ovr
- MerchantMarineCounci, https://twitter.com/NLUS_PMMC (Twitter restricts title to 20 characters)
- PACIFIC MERCHANT MARINE, http://members.navyleague.org/council_sites/council_details.asp?id=PMM (Our listing within the Navy League's Online Community)
- Pacific Merchant Marine Council, Navy League http://www.sfmx.org/membership/corporate.php?start=159 (Our listing within the Marine Exchange of the San Francisco Bay Region)
Having trouble viewing this email? Click here January 17, 2012Also in this Issue:
Tune in this week!As those of you who follow us on Facebook and Twitter already know, CBS Sunday Morning will feature the SS United States this weekend. While the Presidential Inauguration's theme is "Faith in America's Future," the Conservancy's theme is"Faith in America's Flagship." We must save the SS United States, an enduring symbol of strength and beauty, technological innovation, and America's "Can Do" spirit.
CBS Sunday Morning, a nationally broadcast program, hosted by Charles Osgood, will explore the extraordinary history of the "Big U" as well as the Conservancy's urgent effort underway to preserve the ship's legacy and fulfill her economic potential.
The show will air at 9:00 AM eastern standard time on CBS. Be sure to tune in this Sunday, January 20 - or set your DVR - and set sail aboard "America's Flagship!"The Conservancy is overwhelmed by the generous responses we have received from our Annual Appeal. While results are still being tallied, we want you to know it's not too late to support our work! Please become a Conservancy member by clicking here. To read our important annual appeal message from Susan Gibbs, the Conservancy's executive director, please click here (if the PDF does not display properly, view the text here). And to purchase and personalize your own "virtual" piece of the SS United States, click here.We urgently need your support so that the SS United States can continue to endure and inspire. Thank you for your dedication, enthusiasm and generosity!
Support our efforts to Rescue and Restore the SS United States
- Conservancy Expresses Support and Solidarity for QE2
- Coming Soon: SS United States: Made in America Film
- Last Call for SS United States Calendars (Shipping Late January)
Upcoming Hollywood Thriller Filmed On Board SS United States
In addition to appearing on CBS Sunday Morning this week, the SS United States will enjoy time on the silver screen in the new Niels Arden Oplev thriller Dead Man Down (rated R), starring Colin Farrell and scheduled for release on March 8, 2013.Scenes were shot aboard the SS United States last April, and the filmmakers used some "digital magic" to move the ship out of her Philadelphia berth. Watch the trailer here (watch for the "Big U" at 01:52).For footage of "shooting day" aboard the Big U, plus the press conference with the filmmakers, the Conservancy, and Mayor Michael Nutter of Philadelphia, watch this video by Conservancy member Bill Magee.
Conservancy Expresses Support and Solidarity for QE2The RMS Queen Elizabeth 2, the fabled Cunard luxury liner in service from 1969 through 2008, appears to have avoided the scrapper's torch. New press reports indicate that the Oceanic Group, a Singapore-based maritime company, will spearhead the vessel's renovation into a mixed-used facility to be permanently docked in Asia. Facilities will include a luxury hotel, restaurants, retail, event space, and a museum.
A UK-based consortium had previously proposed an exciting adaptive reuse plan for the "QE2" that would site her near London's O2 Arena. Amid these global efforts to save Britain's iconic historic passenger ship, we hope public support in the US continues to grow on behalf of our efforts to rescue and restore the SS United States. You can read our earlier statement here.
Coming Soon: SS United States: Made in AmericaCOMING SOON! We've partnered with director Bob Radler to bring you a new five-part documentary, SS United States: Made in America, which will make an exclusive online premiere beginning in this month. This spectacular new release, a follow-up to SS United States: Lady in Waiting (2008), includes incredible footage of the ship, both in her heyday and in her current state, as well as interviews with former passengers, crew, maritime experts, and Conservancy leadership.The film will be released in five parts, with Chapter One being released online next week Wednesday, January 23, 2013. In the meantime, check out our YouTube channel for more fabulous SS United States video content.
LAST CALL: SSUSC 2013 Wall Calendar Pre-Order!Despite unfortunate production delays, the SS United States Conservancy is proud to announce pre-order for the 2013 edition of our popular wall calendar series. This year's calendar includes spectacular black-and-white United States Lines promotional images of the ship's interiors - including some rarely seen spaces.If you haven't ordered yours yet, please visit our website for order information. Calendars will ship at the end of January (in the meantime, our 2012 calendars do have a January 2013 spread!)Also, if you're looking for other great SS United States merchandise, look no further than our new apparel store on Printfection!
Want more SS United States every day? Be sure to:
SS United States Conservancy
P.O. Box 32115
Washington, DC 20007