RAdm. Frank X. Johnson MARAD Retirement Dinner, 1730 Thursday, 24 January 2008

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2008

      .
      Received the message below from Capt. Shafer. Check in soon as possible with Patricia Wu, (415) 744-2562 if desiring to attend. The Council gave Frank a tribute at our December 10th luncheon. He is now on board as a Navy Leager and Council Director. We thank Don Hale, Pacific Central Region, NLUS, for being his sponsor.

      Capt. Shafer is a life member of the Navy League; he too serves as a Pacific Merchant Marine Council Director.

      Some of you know RAdm. Tom Patterson suffered a stroke and was hospitalized December 8th I believe. The dinner is an opportunities to see him and Dorothy.

      We commend RAdm. Johnston on his appointment! To view a notice of the appointment see: http://www.pilotcommission.org/notices/NewBoardAppointment.pdf. For more on the commission: http://www.pilotcommission.org/.

      We thank him, RAdm. Patterson, and Capt. Shafer for their service to the nation. It is an honor to be in their company.

      Do let Patricia Wu know if you plan to attend.

      Phelps,

      You probably know already but Gov Schwarzenegger appointed to the Board of Pilot Commissioners for the Bays of San Francisco, San Pablo, and Suisun, Francis "Frank" X. Johnston, who has an outstanding maritime carrier starting as a maritime academy cadet.

      He most recently has been the Pacific Area Director of the Maritime Administration in San Francisco as a Rear Admiral, U.S. Maritime Service.  That is the position that Admiral Tom Patterson held for many years when he saved the JEREMIAH O'BRIEN.

      Frank lives with his wife, Marie, here in San Rafael and is 70 years old. He retired earlier this month; we plan to attend his retirement dinner aboard the JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, Fisherman's Wharf Pier 45 at $45 each c/o MARAD Patricia Wu 415-744-2562, Thursday, 24 Jan 08 5:30 pm.

      Admiral Patterson and his second wife, Dorothy, will join Dulce and me for Frank's retirement dinner which will be one of Tom's last events here for some time because he is selling his San Rafael house and moving to Dorothy's home in Myrtle Beach, SC.

      Regards,

      Mark Shafer, Captain USN (Ret.)
      Director, JEREMIAH O'BRIEN
      President, Military Officers Association of America, Marin County Chapter