NLUS October 2012 Digital Edition: P. 58 Fund-raiser aboard presidential yacht benefits Sea Cadets

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2012

      Once again, our Arkansas Division Sea Cadets and the Band of the West has a write up and photo in the Navy League's SeaPower magazine. First it was the performance of the band at the USNSCC Pacific Central Region Officers Call in the April edition (see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS/message/1158 or if you still have that issue check it out). Now it is P. 58 Fund-raiser aboard presidential yacht benefits Sea Cadets, http://www.seapower-digital.com/seapower/sample#pg58. The article along with a photo actually spreads across three pages.

      The NLUS membership statistics, P. 59, continue to show Phelps Hobart, Don Hale, and the Pacific Merchant Marine Council as prominent recruiters. But we need to do better; due to attrition our council growth remains stagnant. We have a membership special going on; new three year memberships $75 instead of $125 and life memberships $450 instead of $500. We will even throw in a complementary lunch for our Tuesday, December 11, Christmas party with VADM Paul F. Zukunft, USCG, Commander Pacific Area. WE WELCOME NEW MEMBERS! To take advantage of this - contact me.

      Couple of more messages coming your way.

      Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 9:06 AM
      Subject: NLUS October 2012 Digital Edition

        The October 2012 issue of SEAPOWER

      NOW AVAILABLE AS A DIGITAL EDITION

      Go to www.seapowermagazine.org

      P. 3 President’s Message. Facing the Fiscal Cliff.

      P. 54 Navy Days L.A. expo showcases STEM education.

      P. 56 Seattle honors sea services at Seafair Fleet Week events.

      P. 57 El Paso Council honors Socorro NJROTC team.

      P. 58 Sea Cadets get Master-at-Arms training at Kings Bay.

      P. 58 Fund-raiser aboard presidential yacht benefits Sea Cadets

      P. 66 International Sea Cadets visit NS Newport.

      P. 6 A Point of View. Report on ship naming falls short.

      P. 14 Holistic Programming. An interview with NavyRear Adm. William F. “Bill” Moran, director of Air Warfare.

      P. 18 Unmanned Landing. Arrival of UCAS on a carrier deck in 2013 will usher in a new era of naval aviation.

      P. 20 Small Bird, Big Job. Testing of Marine Corps’ latest small tactical unmanned aircraft nears completion.

      P. 22 Smart Missiles. As the threat evolves, so must the AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missile program.

      P. 24 Eyes on Targets. Marine Corps’ new AH-1Z helicopter completes initial deployment.

      P. 28 Carrier Air Wing Here to Stay. An interview with Capt. David Silkey, commander, Carrier Air Wing Two.

      P. 32 Down to the Wire. As threat of sequestration looms, defense companies hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

      P. 36 Aviation Niche. Navy’s airship continues to prove its worth as an ISR, test platform.

      P. 40 Non-lethal Apps. ‘We need something between shouting and shooting.’

      P. 44 ‘Challenging Times.’ U.S.-flag shippers adapt to changing market, economic factors.

      P. 46 On the Road Again. Marine Corps’ Light Armored Vehicles will be staying until 2035.

      P. 48 Program Snapshot. Boeing moving ahead with P-8A production.

      P. 64 In My Own Words. Marine Capt. Rebecca Massey, V-22 test pilot.

      P. 8 Washington Report

      * Election, Lame-Duck Congress Put Defense Spending Decisions in Doubt.

      * Stackley Notes Challenges Should Sequestration Occur.

      * Amos: 182,100 Marines ‘Rock Bottom’ Number.

      P. 9 Intercepts

      “The army still does the army thing. The police still does its thing. What it becomes if you don’t coordinate it is 6-year-old soccer. Everybody just follows the ball. It moves in a blob. We don’t want that. We want people to play positions and be ready to respond to each other if they have trouble.”

      Maj. Gen. Charles M. Gurganus, Commanding General for I Marine Expeditionary Force Forward

      On ensuring coordination between Afghan national security forces as the U.S. forces draw down and leave more responsibility in Afghan hands. — San Diego Union Tribune, Sept. 4

      This message was sent to nlsac@... from:

      Navy League of the United States | 2300 Wilson Blvd. Suite 200 | Arlington, VA 22201