NLUS National President Phil Dunmire and his wife Linda visited with us September 11

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17 9:46 PM
      Ahoy Pacific Merchant Marine Council Members and Friends!

      Where the heck were you on September 11? For sure most of you were not present at our luncheon or the reception in Oakland.

      Now, don't miss our December 11 luncheon! I shifted the date to the 11th - a direct hit on our charter anniversary six years ago.

      We have many invited guests starting with VADM Paul F. Zukunft, USCG, Commander Pacific Area. Members of the San Francisco Council as well as members of the Master Mates and Pilots Association and the Maritime Academy, Kings Point, Alumni Association will be joining us. It promises to be a swell time.

      We also have an invitation for the annual Pearl Harbor Memorial Luncheon - December 7 at the Oyster Point Yacht Club.

      More on these events in the days ahead. Right now the focus is San Francisco Fleetweek, www.fleetweek.us, http://www.fleetweek.us/page_events.html. Let me know if you care to get aboard a USCG buoy tender - it may be possible for a day. A far better choice is booking time aboard the O'BRIEN or the POTOMAC.

      Start thinking about the election of 2013 council officers and directors. THERE ARE OPENINGS AND VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED.

      Talk to me anytime - hope to see you about.

      Sent: Monday, September 17, 2012 8:54 PM
      Subject: [PCR-NLUS] NLUS National President Phil Dunmire and his wife Linda visited with us September 11

      Ahoy All,

      Tuesday September 11 was definitely a special occasion in the Navy League's Pacific Central Region. Here are a couple of captioned photos from our Pacific Central Region's Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/NavyLeaguePacificCentralRegion.

      We also need to get news in pronto to Peter Atkinson, patkinson at navyleague dot org, so it gets published in SeaPower. Did you see the piece and photo on Sacramento Navy Week and the Sacramento Council in the current magazine?

      Anchors Aweigh,

      Senior Vice President
      Pacific Central Region
      Navy League of the United States

      National President Phil Dunmire and his wife Linda visited with Navy Leaguers in Northern California September 11, 2012.

      They started the day at a luncheon hosted by the San Francisco and Pacific Merchant Marine Councils at Scoma's Seafood
      Restaurant, www.scomas.com., on the water at the city's Fisherman's Wharf.

      Above is a group photo of some of the Navy League and Naval Order leadership in attendance...

      From left to right: Phil Dunmire, Navy League National President, Doug Moore, Naval Order Commander General, Lorraine Hughey, Navy League San Francisco Bay Area President, Phelps Hobart, Pacific Central Region Senior Vice President/Pacific Merchant Marine Council President, and Angus Blackwood, Navy League San Francisco Council President.

      Phil, in his presentation, touched on a number of subjects but possibly the central message was involving more Navy League members in the mission of the Navy League.

      That afternoon, Phil and Linda Dunmire, escorted by Phelps and Teddy Hobart, visited the Marines Memorial Club and Hotel, www.marineclub.com, and the National Liberty Ship Memorial SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, www.ssjeremiahobrien.org. They were very appreciative of the opportunity to briefly visit with MGEN Mike Myatt and to tour the O'BRIEN.

      Later, they were the guests of honor at a reception in Oakland at the Oakland Council's clubhouse, the Warehouse Bar and Grill,
      www.thewarehousebar.net.

      In this photo: Les Rich, Navy League Marin County Council President, Phelps Hobart, Pacific Merchant Marine Council President, RADM Karl L. Schultz, U.S. Coast Guard District Eleven Commander, Lou Lozano, Oakland Council President, Linda Dunmire, Master Chief Rob Bushey, U.S. Coast Guard District Eleven Command Master Chief, Phil Dunmire, Navy League National President.

      RADM Schultz had just arrived from a flight. Phil knew him when he was stationed in Washington but had not had the opportunity to wish him well before he departed to take command District Eleven.

      Also in the photo are two prized items that just arrived that day: a San Francisco Fleetweek 2012 apron and tee shirt. Lou gave them to Phil and Linda as keepsakes.

      It was a wonderful day all around made extra special by the Dunmires' visit with us.