Re: Invitation: Navy League Pacific Central Region Event with USS Dewey (DDG 105) 1130, Monday, June 25, San Francisco

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19 11:15 AM

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:44 AM
      Subject: 11:30am Monday June 25th, Union Square in San Francisco, Tribute to Admiral George Dewey

      Dear Navy League Member:

      This Monday June 25th will be, to paraphrase Winston Churchill, "our finest hour." At least it will be our finest lunch hour!

      Join us during the Monday lunch hour in the heart of San Francisco at Union Square (Powell and Geary) for the biggest Navy event this year. Organized and executed by your Fleet Support Team - with the help of many others including the San Francisco Office of the Mayor, San Francisco Parks and Recreation Department, San Francisco Muni, and the San Francisco Police Department - your fellow Navy League members present to you the "Admiral George Dewey Monument Commemoration Ceremony". This is not just another commemoration, this will be a San Francisco style Navy event unlike no other. You don't want to miss this!

      The highlight of the ceremony is the participation by Admiral George Dewey's namesake ship, the guided missile destroyer USS Dewey (DDG 105). Commanding Officer John "Colby" Howard and 200 of his crew will be there in formation. Keynote speaker is Admiral Dixon Smith, Commander Navy Region Southwest. A Navy Band kicks things off with live music at 11:30am and CDR Howard and Admiral Dixon will arrive BY POLICE ESCORTED CABLE CAR at 12 noon and will be "bonged" aboard Union Square.

      The Pacific Central Region Inter-Council Fleet Support Team formed Monday April 3, 2012 and meets monthly at 4:30pm on the first Tuesday of the month at Sindbad's Restaurant, Pier 2 (next to Ferry Building). It is a working group that sets goals and works toward them month in and month out to support the Navy League's mission, with special emphasis to enhance the morale of active duty personnel and their families visiting San Francisco. You may join for $100 per year and expect to become involved, take on responsibilities, and engage the fleet. The next meeting is July 3rd.

      Thank you for your support of the Navy League of the United States and we hope to see you this Monday, June 25th at Union Square.

      Very respectfully,

      Angus

      Angus Blackwood

      President, San Francisco Council