California Maritime Academy Commissioning and Awards Ceremony, Saturday, April 28, 2012

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13, 2012
      Ahoy Members and Friends,

      I always enjoy attending the California Maritime Academy's Commissioning and Awards Ceremony. A number of our council members are associated with the Academy - staff and students.

      Parking at 0800 is never a problem; for commencement at 1400 it is!

      Afterwards I anticipate visiting the Mare Island Historical Park and Naval Ship LCS-102.

      How about making a morning of it on the 28th at California Maritime Academy?

      California Maritime Academy

      Activities for the Graduating Class of 2012 will commence

      Commissioning: 0900

      Awards: 1100

      Saturday, 28 April 2012

      The Quad

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2012

        Commissioned were twelve ensigns and one second lieutenant. Nine for the Military Sealift Command - Strategic Sealift Officers (i.e. Merchant Marine), one for the Navy, two Coast Guard, and one Marine Corps.

        Here is a photo you will likely see nowhere else. Rear Admiral William B. Eisenhardt, USMS, President, California Maritime Academy, throws a pair of ensign bars over his head behind his back (like a bride and her bouquet). Seems they were in his drawer at home. Can you see the butter bars' plastic case midair above the second midshipman?

        Believe it or not, April 28th was the Admiral's last ceremony as Academy President. Anyone for a retirement party for him?

        For four more captioned photos see the Pacific Central Region's Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/#!/NavyLeaguePacificCentralRegion. You will find a photo of Ken Zadwick presenting a couple of council awards and Bill and Jeanne Sharking an award of their own. The Academy had a photographer clicking away - maybe those photos will be posted on a CMA page in the near future.

        The Navy League, the Pacific Merchant Marine Council, and other units have Facebook pages as well. If you should visit, how about indicating you like the region's social media page?