CAGTC MARCH 2012 Trade Corridor Bulletin

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2012

      Here is a group right up our shipping lane!

      CAGTC, http://www.tradecorridors.org, is right on course - has been and remains so.

      I am in the process of submitting a letter of support for the Coalition and its policy objectives.

      Enjoy the March newsletter.

      The Coalition for America's Gateways and Trade Corridors (CAGTC) is a US interest group for transport.

      It is composed of over forty representative organizations, including motor carriers, railroads, ports, engineering firms, and freight corridors that have come together to improve national freight efficiency. CAGTC was established in 2001 to bring national attention to the need to significantly expand U.S. freight transportation capabilities and to work toward solutions for this growing national challenge. CAGTC plays a key role in developing consensus among members of Congress for federal investment policy that supports "intermodal connectors", "trade corridors" and "gateway access", and that provides for major increases in the authorization and appropriations levels for freight and goods movement-related projects. The sole purpose of CAGTC is to raise public recognition and Congressional awareness of this need and to promote sufficient funding in federal legislation for trade corridors and gateways.

      Freight transportation is the backbone of America’s commerce. Imports and exports, which fuel our economy, are doubling every ten years. Freight traffic within the United States' borders will increase 100% by 2020. During that same period of time, foreign trade is expected to increase by 187 percent, while containerized cargo will experience an explosive 350 percent increase.

      Rapidly accelerating trade combined with domestic growth has created a $10 trillion U.S. commodity flow that produces millions of jobs and a higher standard of living. Without the ability to quickly and cost effectively move goods into, out of and through the United States, America will not be able to maintain this standard of living and high employment levels.