Re: Grant Maritime Technologies Program Graduation, 1800, Thursday, December 20th

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 22, 2007

      The ceremony took place at the Adult Education Center, 3222 Winona Way, North Highlands (near Watt Ave. and I-80) at 1800 just as planned.

      Four bells from our council's new bell sounded the time.

      Both the Sacramento Council and the Pacific Merchant Marine Council gave recognition to those at the top of the class. Our criteria includes an emphasis on enthusiasm and desire to make the merchant marine a career.

      Our signed and sealed certificates state:

      Certificate of Merit

      Now Hear This, Now Hear This; Attention All Hands:

           On this Thursday, the 20th day of December 2007, at the appointed time about 1815, the officers and members of Pacific Merchant Marine Council, Navy League of the United States, are pleased to present council certificates of merit along with council memberships to Grant Maritime Technologies Program graduates:

      Howard Baker, AB Deck
      &
      Carrie Gillette, QMED

           As students they demonstrated through their commitment to their studies and their performance during hands-on training they possess what it takes to be mariners who are prepared and willing to handle the rigors of duty at sea. Furthermore, they have exhibited a positive, can-do attitude in anticipation of a challenging and rewarding civilian career aboard ship.
           BRAVO ZULU! Fair winds and following seas.

      Phelps Hobart
      President

      Howard and Carrie were each given a NLUS-PMMC membership. Both were thrilled about that as well as being recognized for their effort in the program. It came as a total surprise. Talking to them as well as family and friends, I learned they studied very hard - early in the morning, real early, much of the time. They could be counted on to arrive at the classrooms well before the instructors.

      This may be the last adult class and that has me and others worried. The school district is in the process of merging with another district and I suspect every program is being reviewed. A member of the new school board did not reveal any news. I was hoping for a positive statement.

      We intend to be involved in recognizing top students in similar programs elsewhere on the West Coast and officer programs at the California Maritime Academy.