State of the Coast Guard Address given at Coast Guard Island, February 23, 2012

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2012
    Ahoy Members and Friends,

    Here is a bit of local Coast Guard news that might be of interest.

    Speaking of the Coast Guard, don't forget our invitation to the Naval Sea Cadets Arkansas Division Annual Inspection is Sunday morning at Coast Guard Base Yerba Buena Island. See: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS/message/1157. Roger Bazeley and I will present the Navy League's Theodore Roosevelt Youth Award to PO 1, Chief Select, Kaitlynne Freitas, USNSCC. and the Youth Ribbon to former League Cadet PO 3 Weston Freitas, USNSCC.

    Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS

    PS Stand by to receive our council luncheon invitation - Monday, March 19, is the date.

    120223-G-MZ900-500 State of the Coast Guard Address

    ALAMEDA, Calif. - Coast Guard Commandant, Adm. Bob Papp, delivers the State of the Coast Guard address aboard Coast Guard Base Alameda, Calif., Feb. 23, 2012. The State of the Coast Guard is the Commandant's annual address to the Coast Guard community about progress on the Commandant's Direction 2011, assessing the current strategic environment and to describe the way ahead for the service. U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 3rd Class Caleb Critchfield.

    Ahoy,

    A number of Navy Leaguers were present when Admiral Papp broke precedence when he delivered his State of the Coast Guard address aboard Coast Guard Base Alameda, February 23, 2012. Among them one of our newest members: Angela Maupin, USCGC Morgenthau Ombudsman, Oakland Council.

    For all interested in the United States Coast Guard but especially those individuals involved with NLUS Legislative Affairs and Community Service Organization Presentations there is information below.

    Please notify me if you desire NLUS Legislative Affairs and Community Service Organization Presentations training.

    Admiral Papp supports the President's budget (as are all the Service Chiefs) but he clearly articulates the long term need that remains to adequately carry out the Coast Guard's mission tasking. His remarks are motivational as we expect from strong leaders, but we also see that more will be required of  U.S. Coast Guardsmen using older and numerically inadequate equipment until funding matches recapitalization needs for the USCG ever expanding mission.

    Let's redouble our efforts to get our Navy League message to members of Congress.

    Phelps Hobart
    Vice President - Legislative Affairs
    Vice President - Community Service Organization Presentations.
    Pacific Central Region

    Just in case you missed it, I wanted pass along a copy of Admiral Bob Papp's State of the Coast Guard Address delivered yesterday. Also for your reference are links to the archived webcast and Coast Guard's Publication 3-0, Operations, which can be accessed on the web.

    Watch Archived Webcast
    http://www.uscg.mil/SOCGA/

    Also wanted to share the latest Coast Guard Operations publication—good overview of the CG mission! Pub 3-0 Operations <http://www.uscg.mil/doctrine/CGPub/CG_Pub_3_0.pdf>

    Warm Regards,
    Joe

    LCDR Joe Morgan, USCG
    Governmental and Organizational Liaison
    Coast Guard Office of Congressional and Governmental Affairs
    Office: (202) 245-0524
    Cell: (202) 345-4809