Grant Maritime Technologies Program Graduation, 1800, Thursday, December 20th

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 2007

      Something special Thursday evening.

      The Grant Maritime Technologies Program at Grant High School will be graduating another group of deck and engineering students. Next they go to serve aboard a merchant marine ship as a member of the civilian crew. From there more USCG licensing and hopefully for several a career!

      Welcome to The Grant Maritime Technologies
      Welcome To The Grant Maritime Technologies Website. ... Adult and High School Maritime Programs. GRANT MARITIME TRAINS HIGH SCHOOL AND ADULT STUDENTS FOR ...
      www.grantmaritime.com/ - 4k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

      The ceremony will take place at the Adult Education Center, 3222 Winona Way, North Highlands (near Watt Ave. and I-80) at 1800.

      Both the Sacramento Council and the Pacific Merchant Marine Council will be giving recognition to those at the top of their class. In our criteria is an emphasis on enthusiasm and desire to make the merchant marine a career.

      All are invited. Traffic is a bit thick and 1800 is after dark so if you are attending make allowance time wise for that. Free parking on the side of the building.

      Anchors Aweigh,

      Phelps Hobart
      President
      Pacific Merchant Marine Council
      Navy League of the United States
      PO Box 91403 < Our new address
      Sacramento CA 95819-1403
      (916) 739-6949 | (916) 955-3972 Cell | PMMC at cwo dot com

      The Navy League of the United States, founded with President Roosevelt's encouragement in 1902, is a civilian organization with more than 63,000 members. The League is focused on reminding the American public and government officials that the United States is a maritime nation and that its national defense and economic well being are dependent upon strong sea services - the Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and U. S. Flag Merchant Marine. NLUS and its councils sponsor activities, events, and awards along with supporting military and Sea Cadet units. Its monthly magazine Sea Power focuses on United States maritime defense news. The council publishes its newsletter Captain's Call every two months.
      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council was chartered 11 December 2006. Luncheon meetings aboard the National Liberty Ship Memorial S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, Pier 45, San Francisco the 2nd Monday in March, June, September, and December are open to the public.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 22, 2007

        The ceremony took place at the Adult Education Center, 3222 Winona Way, North Highlands (near Watt Ave. and I-80) at 1800 just as planned.

        Four bells from our council's new bell sounded the time.

        Both the Sacramento Council and the Pacific Merchant Marine Council gave recognition to those at the top of the class. Our criteria includes an emphasis on enthusiasm and desire to make the merchant marine a career.

        Our signed and sealed certificates state:

        Certificate of Merit

        Now Hear This, Now Hear This; Attention All Hands:

             On this Thursday, the 20th day of December 2007, at the appointed time about 1815, the officers and members of Pacific Merchant Marine Council, Navy League of the United States, are pleased to present council certificates of merit along with council memberships to Grant Maritime Technologies Program graduates:

        Howard Baker, AB Deck
        &
        Carrie Gillette, QMED

             As students they demonstrated through their commitment to their studies and their performance during hands-on training they possess what it takes to be mariners who are prepared and willing to handle the rigors of duty at sea. Furthermore, they have exhibited a positive, can-do attitude in anticipation of a challenging and rewarding civilian career aboard ship.
             BRAVO ZULU! Fair winds and following seas.

        Phelps Hobart
        President

        Howard and Carrie were each given a NLUS-PMMC membership. Both were thrilled about that as well as being recognized for their effort in the program. It came as a total surprise. Talking to them as well as family and friends, I learned they studied very hard - early in the morning, real early, much of the time. They could be counted on to arrive at the classrooms well before the instructors.

        This may be the last adult class and that has me and others worried. The school district is in the process of merging with another district and I suspect every program is being reviewed. A member of the new school board did not reveal any news. I was hoping for a positive statement.

        We intend to be involved in recognizing top students in similar programs elsewhere on the West Coast and officer programs at the California Maritime Academy.