Would you like to attend the commissioning of the USCG Cutter STRATTON (WMSL-752) March 24?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2012
    Ahoy Members and Friends,

    Would you like to attend the commissioning of the USCG Cutter STRATTON (WMSL-752) at Coast Guard Island Saturday, March 24?

    If so you need to get your name and address on the guest list. How that is done is a bit of a mystery. For sure a financial contribution for the commissioning, www.uscgcstrattoncommissioning.com, will assist, but not assure, you receiving an invitation. Your Navy League membership card alone is not sufficient. I will likely be able to bring a guest or two. Same for Don Hale, Sam Sause, Ed Dangler and a few other of us NLUS National Directors.

    We will be submitting a list of council members desiring an invitation January 24 - two months before the grand event. To get your name on the council's list, notify Senior Vice President Roger Bazeley. Beside stepping up to this position he proudly wears the uniform of the Coast Guard Auxiliary.  Contact him (H) (415) 673-3652, (B) (415) 305-3835, or (E-mail) bazeley at comcast dot net.

    We'll get you on the guest list somehow.

    Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2012 1:16 AM
    Subject: National Security Cutters at Coast Guard Island

    See photos attached.

    All three in-service National Security Cutters, BERTHOLF (WMSL-750), STRATTON (WMSL-752), and WAESCHE (WMSL-751) are presently berthed at Coast Guard Island in Alameda. Even though these three cutters are homeported in Alameda, I expect there may be relatively few opportunities in the future to catch all three together with nothing else spoiling the view. It is a bit tricky getting all three ships in one picture, and my helicopter was grounded, so I took today's pictures from a berth at Grand Marina in Alameda. The order of ships is BERTHOLF, STRATTON, WAESCHE from left to right.

    Over the Christmas holiday, MORGENTHAU (WHEC-722) was tied up outboard BERTHOLF, but she departed between Christmas and New Years, leaving an unobstructed from the Alameda side.  This picture of MORGENTHAU and BERTHOLF was taken on 19 December from the Grand Street boat launch in Alameda.

    David Foote

    Note:

    If your council has members who would like to attend the commissioning of the STRATTON (Saturday, March 24 scheduled date), it is advisable that their names and addresses be submitted well in advance. For information on the commissioning see www.uscgcstrattoncommissioning.com
    . If your questions are not answered there, contact Barbara Price, Navy League Commissioning Chair, (510) 633-9550 / (510) 263-9399 or Barbara @ pkconsutants dot com.

    Senior Vice President
    Pacific Central Region