The Pacific Merchant Marine Council supports the National Liberty Ship Memorial S.S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2011

      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council was charted by the Navy League aboard the National Liberty Ship Memorial S.S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN December 11, 2006 - 5 years ago this month! It was only a few months later the council "adopted" her. We have been providing support ever since. She is a maritime treasure and we call her our home.

      Here Phelps presents Dennis Koller, the ship's Executive Director, a check at the council's December 19th gathering at Coast Guard Island. Dennis is one of several council directors.

      Check out her Facebook page for photos and her primary website,
      www.ssjeremiahobrien.org. Also Phil O'Mara, her Shipkeeper and council member, has been posting ship pictures in his Facebook albums, https://www.facebook.com/omaraph#!/profile.php?id=100000395035218.

      She is scheduled to steam over to the BAE Shipyard, http://www.baesystems.com/ProductsServices/bae_prod_eis_shiprep_sanfran.html, Monday, January 23 for replacement of below the waterline hull plates and a thorough shaft inspection. Besides the crew and a few volunteers, there will be some members going along for the journey. If interested, we may be able to get you aboard.