Occupy Protesters Try to Close Oakland Port

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2011

      "We stress again: it’s important to keep the Port open so that workers can make a living, the Port can continue creating jobs, and we all take steps to improve economic opportunities for the community and the region,"  the port's Communications Manager Robert Bernardo said in a statement..

      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council agrees!

      The Sacramento Bee has a piece on it: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/12/12/4117496/sacramento-truckers-protest-closing.html#ixzz1gLkozM7v

      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council is for Jobs! Protesting may be an occupation but for sure the economic benefits are few.

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS

      Occupy Protesters Try to Close Oakland Port

      March part of a coordinated West Coast effort.

      http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Occupy-Protesters-March-Toward-Oakland-Port-135436878.html

      Oakland is once again at the heart of the Occupy movement, with coordinated port shutdowns happening from Anchorage to San Diego.

      Hundreds of protesters were marching toward the port of Oakland Monday morning, with about a dozen trucks waiting to enter to deliver or pick up their cargo.

      Police officers were at the scene to block the protesters from entering the port, near the corner of Seventh and Maritime streets.

      Protesters were able to block at least two entrances to the Port of Oakland as part of a planned all-day West Coast port blockade.

      As of 9 a.m. Monday, hundreds of protesters had blocked off the entrance to Berths 30-32, and Alameda County sheriff's deputies were keeping an eye on hundreds more who had gathered at the entrance to Berths 55-56.

      Dozens of trucks were lined up outside both entrances as drivers waited to get into the port.

      Mayor Jean Quan issued an open letter to protesters asking "What is the target of this action?" and citing that another shutdown could affect workers' wages as well as the chance to attract business in the future.

      By noon Quan said demonstrations so far had been peaceful. She urged demonstrators to respect the rights of the 99-percent and keep the protests peaceful.

      Oakland Police Chief Chief Howard Jordan said there were two protesters arrested at the Ports of America terminal. But there were no reports of violence.

      There was one incident of vandalism, according to Jordan.

      Omar Benjamin with the port said demonstrators had caused sporadic slow downs but the port was still operational.

      But still about 150 longshoremen were sent home "with little to no pay," according to The San Francisco Chronicle.

      Benjamin said he saw backups of trucks and while the port is in the middle of its peak season, it remains in full operations.

      "We stress again:  it’s important to keep the Port open so that workers can make a living, the Port can continue creating jobs, and we all take steps to improve economic opportunities for the community and the region," the port's Communications Manager Robert Bernardo said in a statement.

      Dan Siegel, an Oakland attorney and the former legal aide to Quan who resigned when police first raided the Occupy protests at Frank Ogawa Plaza, was part of the blockade Monday.

      The Bay Citizen reported that the coordinated West Coast efforts are part of the long-standing labor dispute between the International Longshore and Warehouse Union workers and grain exporter EGT in Longview, Wash. The company's business with the port of Oakland are unclear.

      The group is part of a larger effort to shut down ports across the West Coast. The Occupiers have added a makeshift raft in Lake Merritt to its high-profile protest.

      Bay City News contributed to this report.