- Members and Friends, Something special December 8th! Pacific Merchant Marine Council member Kirk Birkhahn will be the guest speaker at a dinner co-sponsored byMessage 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2011View SourceMembers and Friends,Something special December 8th!Pacific Merchant Marine Council member Kirk Birkhahn will be the guest speaker at a dinner co-sponsored by the Marin County Council and the Pacific Merchant Marine Council Thursday evening, December 8 at San Rafael Joe's Restaurant, http://www.sanrafaeljoes.com, 931 4th St. San Rafael. The details are attached but I tried to reproduce them below as well. Reservations in before the end of November please.About ten of us reside in Marine County. The rest of us in the Bay Area will have to venture across a bridge. Please attend with your spouse, family members and friends.Directions:
We have other invitations as well. You have received notice of the December 7 luncheon in rememberance of the Pearl Harbor attack. For review see: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS/message/1113. A good showing there too is appreciated. Our own council's holiday luncheon is Monday, December 20, at Coast Guard Island. Details forthcoming. There are other announcements as well and I will endeavor to provide the details.Maybe you have holiday invitations you would like to share with fellow council members. Let me know.There is a council new membership special just in time for Christmas - three years for $75! This could cost $150 - a one year membership renewed two times. Discounts on other new memberships with council affiliation as well. Contact me to discuss them.Heave Ho,PhelpsPhelps Hobart, PresidentPacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS(916) 739-6949
- From Highway 101 South: Exit Central San Rafael. Proceed through two stoplights. Take a left on 4th St. We will be on the left. There is some street parking, or there is parking in the lot at Lootens and 3rd.
- From Highway 101 North: Exit Central San Rafael. Continue on Hetherton. Take a right on 4th St. We will be on the left. There is some street parking, or there is parking in the lot at Lootens and 3rd.
Navy Cmdr. Kurt Birkhahn, Regional Command South representative for water infrastructuredevelopment, presents water management information to the Arghrandab Districts directorateof agriculture, irrigation and land, July 20. Birkhahns visit was to provide the DistrictDevelopment Assembly with information on water infrastructure and to promote increasedpartnership with the DAIL.
N. L. U. S.
MARIN COUNTY COUNCIL
NAVY LEAGUE OF THE UNITED STATES
POST OFFICE BOX 10812, SAN RAFAEL, CALIFORNIA, CA94912-9516
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
NOTICE OF JOINT MEETING THURSDAY, DECEMBER 08, 2011
AN INVITATION TO THE BAY AREA COUNCILS OF THE NLUS: ALAMEDA, CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, LAKE MERRITT, NAPA VALLEY, OAKLAND, PACIFIC MERCHANT MARINE, SAN FRANCISCO, SONOMA COUNTY, VALLEJO,WEST CONTR.A COSTA.
SAN RAFAEL JOE'S RESTAURANT, 931 FOURTH STREET, SAN RAFAEL
DINNER: (EACH $35.00)
SOCIAL HOUR: 6:00 PM / 1800
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 8, 2011 7:00 PM / 1900
PRESENTATION: 8:15 PM / 2015
BEAST/ ROAST PRIME RIB OF BEEF
FOWL / CHICKEN BREAST PICCATA
SEA FARE / BROILED SALMON
(EACH WITH VEGETABLES, POTATO, SALAD, FRENCH BREAD, DESSERT, AND TEA OR COFFEE.)
COMMANDER. KURT BlRKHAHN, USN, ACCEPTED OUR INVITATION TO BE OUR GUEST TO SPEAK ABOUT HIS EXPERIENCES IN AFGHANISTAN. HE KNOWS OF THINGS ACCOMPLISHED BY OUR MILITARY PERSONNEL THAT HAVE ESCAPED THE SOUND-BITE MEDIA REPORTS WE RELY ON FOR NEWS. HE HAS TITLED HIS TALK U.S.NAVY OFFICERS PROVIDE PLUG & PLAY SUPPORT TO THE U. S.ARMY MISSION IN AFGHANISTAN. HE HAS SEEN SOME EFFECTS OF U.S. EFFORTS GO UNREPORTED. HE MENTIONS THE GRATITUDE OF THE COMMON PEOPLE, AND THEIR FEARFULNESS OF THE INSURGENT ACTIVITIES.HE HAS WITNESSED THE RAVAGED CONDITION OF THE PEOPLE,THE COUNTRYSIDE AND THE AFGHAN SOCIAL STRUCTURES. HE ADDED THAT US FORCES ARE THE BEST EQUIPPED IN THE WORLD -- CAPABILITIES ARE SUPREME "
THIS IS AN OPPORTUNITY TO HEAR OF WORK DONE BY OUR ARMED FORCES THAT MAY EXPAND OUR AWARENESS AND UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT THE AMERICAN PRESENCE IN THE US WAR TORN COUNTRY HAS ACHIEVED, TOLD BY AN ACCOMPLISHED NAVAL OFFICER WHO HAS SEEN IT, DONE IT... " AND WOULD LIKE TO ENLIGHTEN US ABOUT IT."
PRIZE DRAWING AFTER THE QUESTION & ANSWER PERIOD
WHEN YOU CONTRIBUTE PRIZES FOR THIS DRAWING YOU HELP FUND ACTIVITIES THAT ARE WITHIN THE NLUS'S SCOPE OF SUPPORT FOR SEA SERVICE UNITS AND PERSONNEL
R. S. V. P. BEFORE 10:00 PM / 2200 HRS OF WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2011 TO LES RICH AT (925) 918-2249, WITH MENU SELECTIONS. PAY AT THE DOOR.
MAKE CHECKS PAY TO ORDER OF NLUS MARIN COUNTY COUNCIL.
Thank you for this opportunity to spread a positive word.
Sincerely & Respectfully,
- TITLE: US Navy Officers Provide Plug & Play Support to the US Army
Mission in Afghanistan
NOTE: There is a descriptive article on my job there at:
US effort has created a lot of effect that is unreported the common people are grateful (but remain fearful of the insurgents)
30 years of war has truly ravaged not only the countryside, but the people and their social structures extraordinary need drives extraordinary effort
US forces are the best equipped in the world capabilities are supreme
- BIO: Attached
Marine Engineer & Surveyor, MARAD Pacific (MAR617)
GTS Admiral Callaghan / MV Cape Orlando / SS Cape Mohican
USDOT Maritime Administration
201 Mission Street, STE 1800
San Francisco CA 94105
Honorable regional Officers and Council Presidents,
I had heard of the desire to have some combined Council meetings at a past PCR regional meeting. If you haven't had an opportunity to do this, here is a chance
to mix it up with the Pacific Merchant Marine and Marin County Councils 08 DEC 2011 1800hrs pst. An invitation and map are attached to this message, and the
R.S.V.P. phone number is also the local information bureau if you have any questions about getting to San Rafael. Given the number of days between your receipt
of this notice and the meeting date, you may want to disseminate the invite by email. If you need paper copies I can mail them to you pretty quickly. And, in the
case of some of you, I can deliver them to you. Come on out to a good venue and a speaker with some insight into country of Afghanistan.
Best regards, and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones.
s/ Lester Rich Tel: (925) 918 2249
Marin County Council