Thanksgiving Day - Veterans Day

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2011

      Members and Friends,

      Times are tough for many but still we have much to be thankful for. Let us focus on the military and civilian support services especially our nation's mariners. I thought the Secretary of Veteran Affairs letter states it well.

      Below his "News Release" is something I composed and sent in for publication to the Navy League. I don't think we will see it in Sea Power or the next Navy Leaguer but you never can tell.

      Hey, all the best today and in the days to come. Hope to see several of you at one event or another ahead.

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      November 22, 2011

       A THANKSGIVING DAY MESSAGE FROM THE SECRETARY

      Thanksgiving is an American tradition that predates the U.S. Constitution by more than 100 years. It is an observance that binds us as Americans no matter our race, religion, or culture. It is a time when we reflect on our many blessings and give thanks for the bounty in our lives.

      As individuals, we are thankful for our families, friends, and loved ones. As a Nation, we celebrate the blessings of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, thanks to the men and women who protect and have protected our way of life. We thank them for their service and their sacrifice, and we wish them and their families a blessed Thanksgiving celebration.

      In celebrating Thanksgiving this year, let us remember a Thanksgiving in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1621. One hundred and two colonists were facing a harsh winter and possible starvation. Some would die. Fortunately, Indians of the Wampanoag tribe extended a friendly hand that ensured the colonists survived their first winter in this new land, securing unto themselves the blessings of beginning a new Nation dedicated to the dignity and equality of all who live on this land.

      It is a difficult time in this country. Yet, we all have much to be grateful for this Thanksgiving. We are strong as individuals, as families, and as a community.

      To all the members of the Department of Veterans Affairs, your families, and our Veterans and their families, I wish you the warmest of Thanksgiving wishes, and thank you all for this wonderful country we share. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Eric K. Shinseki

      Navy League Wreath does triple duty Veterans Day

      The wreath shown above gets around. Veterans Day, Navy Leaguers Tal Norwood, President of the Sacramento Council, and Phelps Hobart processed with it and placed it adjacent to the Veterans Monument in front of the the Veterans Administration Medical Center Mather in Rancho Cordova, California. The occasion was a morning service honoring Veterans November 11th.
      That afternoon, Phelps and Dan Sebby placed it near the California State Military Museum's Wall of Honor honoring all of California's military who have made the supreme sacrifice in the War on Terrorism. Dan is a member of the Sacramento Council and Curator of the museum in Sacramento.

      The next day it saw duty at the Sacramento Council's annual Sea Power luncheon. Of special note at the luncheon was the commendation presented by the council to life member and WWII veteran LCDR. Ted Robinson. Ted has written an autobiography of his time on PT boats in the Solomon Islands. He is noted for saving fellow officer Lt. John F. Kennedy. Few from his boat squadron came back alive with Ted; all had Purple Hearts.

      The wreath was assembled by Teddy Hobart, Phelps's wife. Phelps, a National Director, serves on a half dozen national committees. He also holds the distinction of chairing several Pacific Central Region committees. Region President Bonnie Potter has designated him the region's Senior Vice President. He is also a Pacific Southwest Region Vice President - Veteran Affairs. Among his duties is representing the Navy League at the California Department of Veteran Affairs conferences. Last but not least he presides over the growth and maritime industry involvement of the League's Pacific Merchant Marine Council.

      Ted Robinson Water In My Veins: The Pauper Who Helped Save A President As the Radar Officer of the lead boat in the attack, standing next to LT Brandingham, the CO of the entire attack, LCDR Ted Robinson is probably the best ... http://www.merriam-press.com/waterinmyveinsthepauperwhohelpedsaveapresident.aspx