Semper Fidelis; Happy 236th Birthday Marine Corps!

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10 10:03 AM
      For ten years now, our Corps has been engaged in continuous combat operations against those who threaten the security of America and our allies. We turned the tide in the Anbar province of Iraq and continue to see success today in southwest Afghanistan. While it has come at a cost … we have much to be proud of.

      This past year in operations around the world including humanitarian disaster relief, counter-piracy, theater security cooperation, special operations, counter-insurgency and many more, you continued to solidify our place as America’s expeditionary force in readiness. Since the Continental Congress created two battalions of Marines 236 years ago, our legacy as an ever-ready, ever-capable, victory-producing organization remains intact.

      Our rich heritage of selfless service and fidelity to Nation and to one another lives on in all who currently wear the eagle, globe and anchor—those who have answered the clarion call to duty with remarkable courage, dedication and unshakable resolve that Marines are so well known for. To all Marines—past and present—and especially to our families … I extend my deep gratitude for all you have done and all you continue to do.

      As we celebrate our 236th Birthday, let us look forward to future challenges—whatever they may be—and reaffirm our pledge to be America’s premier crisis response force; to be the first to fight ... always ready for the toughest and most challenging assignments.

      Happy Birthday, Marines, and Semper Fidelis!

      James F. Amos
      General, U.S. Marine Corps
      Commandant of the Marine Corps

      The Marines' Hymn

      From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli,
      We fight our country's battles in the air, on land and sea.
      First to fight for right and freedom, and to keep our honor clean;
      We are proud to claim the title of United States Marine.

      Our Flag's unfurled to every breeze from dawn to setting sun.
      We have fought in every clime and place, where we could take a gun.
      In the snow of far off northern lands and in sunny tropic scenes,
      You will find us always on the job, the United States Marines.

      Here's health to you and to our Corps, which we are proud to serve.
      In many a strife we've fought for life and never lost our nerve.
      If the Army and the Navy ever look on heaven's scenes,
      they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines.
      Marine Corps March

      The Marines' Prayer

      Almighty Father, whose command is over all and whose love never fails, make me aware of Thy presence and obedient to Thy will. Keep me true to my best self, guarding me against dishonesty in purpose in deed and helping me to live so that I can face my fellow Marines, my loved ones and Thee without shame or fear. Protect my family. Give me the will to do the work of a Marine and to accept my share of responsibilities with vigor and enthusiasm. Grant me the courage to be proficient in my daily performance. Keep me loyal and faithful to my superiors and to the duties my country and the Marine Corps have entrusted to me. Make me considerate of those committed to my leadership. Help me to wear my uniform with dignity, and let it remind me daily of the traditions which I must uphold. If I am inclined to doubt; steady my faith; if I am tempted, make me strong to resist; if I should miss the mark, give me courage to try again. Guide me with the light of truth and grant me wisdom by which I may understand the answer to my prayer. Amen.