Re: USS IOWA (BB-61) begins final mission as museum

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2011
      From the Naval History Foundation...

      Battleship IOWA departs Suisun Bay

      The big news in naval history last week was the formal transfer of the battleship Iowa (BB-61) to the Pacific Battleship Center, and her subsequent departure from the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, CA. Iowa`s transfer to a private organization closes the book on the battleship era. Nicknamed "the Big Stick," Iowa is the last remaining U.S. battleship to find a home as a museum ship. The Pacific Battleship Center is working hard to prepare a permanent home for this historic ship at the Port of Los Angeles. Iowa will get a fresh coat of paint and some much need cleaning in Richmond, CA, prior to her final move to Los Angeles early next year.

      One of our colleagues, Bob Fish from the USS HORNET Museum, observed Iowa`s two-day journey from Suisun Bay to Richmond from a fishing boat. He shared a series of photographs with us, and we'd like to share them with you. They give a good sense of the sequence of events that took place during this successful move.

      http://www.navyhistory.org/2011/11/battleship-iowa-departs-suisun-bay/

      Also see video http://www.usatoday.com/video/news/1246994467001.

      Also http://www.timesheraldonline.com/ci_19213321 and http://www.battleshipiowa.org