Re: NLUS again participates in the California Maritime Academy Career & Community Expo

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 14, 2011
      Ahoy Again,

      We had a great day yesterday. Handed out information and picked up new members.

      Our table was positioned between that of the SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN and Seamen's Church Institute Oakland International Maritime Center! Perfect. We keep good company.

      The weather was near perfect. It was a pleasure to meet the cadets.

      I connected with some maritime friends I hadn't seen in a while. Of special note is now Captain David Buckey, USN (Ret.) He was the CO of the NROTC at UC Berkeley, then had a tour in Italy. Now he is on the staff at the California Maritime Academy as the Commandant of Cadets - Deputy Director Leadership Development. Perfect fit. Also Peter McGroarty, Bosun on the SS GOLDEN BEAR. He is a member of the Sacramento Council.

      Of special note was meeting Mike Meyer and Charles Madison involved with the National Defense Transportation Association San Francisco Bay Area Chapter (NDTA-SF). The chapter is running a 2 for I membership special; $35 for both Sam Sause and myself. I will be having a message devoted to the NDTA-SF encouraging you to join as well. Or groups have a lot in common and hopefully we can work together on various activities

      Council Director John Hummer was there with a great MARAD San Francisco Gateway display and handing out neat stuff. MARAD and several other Expo exhibitors were seeking interns willing to do community service or work for part-time wages. MARAD no exception.

      Sam and I remained and toured the CMA engineering space with John Rogers, on the staff there. Impressive - lots of neat mechanical stuff like engines and co-generation equipment. Fine machine shop and welding shop. Of special note was the state of the art shipboard engine room control panel simulator. John then took us over to the CMA bridge simulator. Sam initially then me took the helm and brought our vessel opposite the Ferry Building over to the Oakland Estuary. Wow - what an experience! The instructor stated the cadets can come into the air-conditioned bridge room with jackets on. By the time some are done with a session, jackets are off and they are sweating profusely!

      We saved visiting the GOLDEN BEAR for another day. Currently it is in the beginning stages of some repairs. Our council will be back. Circle Saturday morning 0800 April 29, 2012 for the commissioning ceremony; hopefully we will do something, maybe with another group or two, before then.

      Most of you missed a great day at the California Maritime Academy. We will figure out a way for our council to become more involved - suggestions welcome.

      I asked Admiral/Dr. William B. Eisenhardt, President of the Academy what he would like Navy Leaguer Phelps Hobart to address him as. He said, "Bill." I don't know him well but our paths have crossed over the past several years.

      --- In PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com, "Phelps Hobart" <nlsac@...> wrote:

      Ahoy All,

      Anyone interested in visiting the California Maritime Academy Thursday, October 13? A number of our members including Sam Sause and Adrienne Yee indicated they will be attending.

      We hope to have our Navy League table next to that of the International Seafarers Center, Seamen's Church Institute.

      It should be a fun day. Even an opportunity to board and tour the SS Golden Bear!

    • edward dangler
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 16, 2011
        President Phelps---

        Your description of these events at CMA was almost like me being there reading the article.  I am delighted that our council takes active stance on CMA events.

        While I am, and always will be a  very proud alumnus of the SUNY Maritime College (oldest maritime training institution in US), I support CMA activities.  During the 1970s, when Admiral Joe Rizza was President, I was member of his industry advisory group for training curriculum.  Joe was a fantastic forward looking guy and brought many innovations to training including bridge and engine room simulation. Their graduates are to found in all areas of the industry.

        Thanks for keeping us informed.

        Ed Dangler