NLUS again participates in the California Maritime Academy Career & Community Expo

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 10, 2011
    Ahoy All,

    Anyone interested in visiting the California Maritime Academy Thursday, October 13? A number of our members including Sam Sause and Adrienne Yee indicated they will be attending.

    We hope to have our Navy League table next to that of the International Seafarers Center, Seamen's Church Institute.

    It should be a fun day. Even an opportunity to board and tour the SS Golden Bear!

    Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 7:55 PM
    Subject: NLUS again participates in the California Maritime Academy Career & Community Expo

    Ahoy,

    Just a heads-up that the Navy League will again participate in the California Maritime Academy Career & Community Expo Thursday, October 13. This has been on the region calendar since early summer. I'll be there along with other Leaguers. Swing by in the morning if you like.

    In the past we welcomed the opportunity to inform the students, staff, other exhibitors, and visitors about the League and this year will no different. Picking up new members is always challenging but with our best face forward we should do well.

    If you would like to visit CMA, the morning of Thursday, October 18, is as good as time as any. One other day you might keep in mind is the morning of April 29, 2012 - the graduating seniors in NROTC will be getting their ensign commission.

    I don't believe any council has adopted the California Maritime Academy though some are involved with scholarship awards.

    I just got off the telephone with Peter McGoarty, Deck Officer on the SS Golden Bear and Sacramento Council member. Nothing firm but I think we can make arrangements with him to go aboard as a group after the Expo. In addition, somewhere after the expo might be lunch together, on your own dime, with the students in the mess hall.

    Anchors Aweigh,

    Senior Vice President
    Pacific Central Region
    Navy League of the United States
    nlsac at cwo dot com

    The Cal Maritime magazine is published by the Office of University Advancement for alumni, parents and friends of The California Maritime Academy. For more information on Cal Maritime, visit www.csum.edu.Fall 2011 issue: http://www.issuu.com/calmaritime/docs/cal_maritime_magazine_fall2011?mode=window&backgroundColor#222222

    This Thursday, October 13, 2011

    8:30am - 12:30pm CMA Quad

    ·         Weather projection is 80 Degrees.  This event is being held outdoors please prepare accordingly.

    Our address is: 200 Maritime Academy Drive, Vallejo CA, 94590.

    Please see the attached flyers for booth space and CMA Map.

    Provided:

    ·         *  Free parking pass will be given to you at the front gate.  Please put it on your dash and park in any legal parking space.   We will have recruiter parking signs to assist you in parking that day.

    ·         *   6ft table with 2 chairs

    ·         *   Snacks:  bananas, granola bar and water

    During the Expo if you need any assistance please be sure to come to the four administration tables found on all sides of the Career Expo.

    If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call me or my staff below:

    Thank You,

    James Dalske

    Director of Career Development & Industrial Relations

    The California Maritime Academy

    Tel: 707-654-1070

    Fax: 707-654-1073

    Christina Harrison                                                Kuulei Galatioto                                            Tess Luna

    Assistant Director Shoreside                           Assistant Director Sailing                           Department Assistant

    Career Development                                         Career Development                                 Career Development

         707-654-1196                                                  707-654-1072                                           707-654-1070

    Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14, 2011
      Ahoy Again,

      We had a great day yesterday. Handed out information and picked up new members.

      Our table was positioned between that of the SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN and Seamen's Church Institute Oakland International Maritime Center! Perfect. We keep good company.

      The weather was near perfect. It was a pleasure to meet the cadets.

      I connected with some maritime friends I hadn't seen in a while. Of special note is now Captain David Buckey, USN (Ret.) He was the CO of the NROTC at UC Berkeley, then had a tour in Italy. Now he is on the staff at the California Maritime Academy as the Commandant of Cadets - Deputy Director Leadership Development. Perfect fit. Also Peter McGroarty, Bosun on the SS GOLDEN BEAR. He is a member of the Sacramento Council.

      Of special note was meeting Mike Meyer and Charles Madison involved with the National Defense Transportation Association San Francisco Bay Area Chapter (NDTA-SF). The chapter is running a 2 for I membership special; $35 for both Sam Sause and myself. I will be having a message devoted to the NDTA-SF encouraging you to join as well. Or groups have a lot in common and hopefully we can work together on various activities

      Council Director John Hummer was there with a great MARAD San Francisco Gateway display and handing out neat stuff. MARAD and several other Expo exhibitors were seeking interns willing to do community service or work for part-time wages. MARAD no exception.

      Sam and I remained and toured the CMA engineering space with John Rogers, on the staff there. Impressive - lots of neat mechanical stuff like engines and co-generation equipment. Fine machine shop and welding shop. Of special note was the state of the art shipboard engine room control panel simulator. John then took us over to the CMA bridge simulator. Sam initially then me took the helm and brought our vessel opposite the Ferry Building over to the Oakland Estuary. Wow - what an experience! The instructor stated the cadets can come into the air-conditioned bridge room with jackets on. By the time some are done with a session, jackets are off and they are sweating profusely!

      We saved visiting the GOLDEN BEAR for another day. Currently it is in the beginning stages of some repairs. Our council will be back. Circle Saturday morning 0800 April 29, 2012 for the commissioning ceremony; hopefully we will do something, maybe with another group or two, before then.

      Most of you missed a great day at the California Maritime Academy. We will figure out a way for our council to become more involved - suggestions welcome.

      I asked Admiral/Dr. William B. Eisenhardt, President of the Academy what he would like Navy Leaguer Phelps Hobart to address him as. He said, "Bill." I don't know him well but our paths have crossed over the past several years.

      --- In PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com, "Phelps Hobart" <nlsac@...> wrote:

      Ahoy All,

      Anyone interested in visiting the California Maritime Academy Thursday, October 13? A number of our members including Sam Sause and Adrienne Yee indicated they will be attending.

      We hope to have our Navy League table next to that of the International Seafarers Center, Seamen's Church Institute.

      It should be a fun day. Even an opportunity to board and tour the SS Golden Bear!

    • edward dangler
      Message 3 of 3 , Oct 16, 2011
        President Phelps---

        Your description of these events at CMA was almost like me being there reading the article.  I am delighted that our council takes active stance on CMA events.

        While I am, and always will be a  very proud alumnus of the SUNY Maritime College (oldest maritime training institution in US), I support CMA activities.  During the 1970s, when Admiral Joe Rizza was President, I was member of his industry advisory group for training curriculum.  Joe was a fantastic forward looking guy and brought many innovations to training including bridge and engine room simulation. Their graduates are to found in all areas of the industry.

        Thanks for keeping us informed.

        Ed Dangler