Member James Caponiti new Executive Director of the American Maritime Congress

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2011

      Good news about one of our members, James Caponiti. We have appreciated having him on board since he joined last November at the Navy League's National Convention. I have asked him to serve on our Advisory Board.

      Below you can read more about him and his appointment - Executive Director of the American Maritime Congress. The AMC's president is also a Navy League member; his council affiliation is the huge and influential National Capitol Council.

      I look forward to a closer relationship with the AMC. Please read more about this fine group, www.americanmaritime.org.

      PRESS RELEASE

      C:\Users\MEBA\Downloads\AMC_colorlogo600dpi (1).jpg

      For Immediate Release

      Contact: Dianne Lauer

      DATE: September 12, 2011

      Phone: (202) 347-8020

      Email: diannelauer@...

      American Maritime Congress Appoints

      Captain Lee Kincaid as President and James Caponiti as Executive Director

      Each Brings Over 30 Years of Dedicated Experience to the U.S. Maritime Industry

      WASHINGTON, D.C. – The American Maritime Congress (AMC), a non-profit organization representing the U.S. maritime industry, is pleased to announce the appointment of Captain Lee Kincaid as President and James Caponiti as Executive Director. Captain Kincaid will oversee the AMC, while Mr. Caponiti will manage its daily operations. Both appointments are effective October 1, 2011.

      “We are honored to have Captain Kincaid and Mr. Caponiti onboard,” said Mike Jewell, AMC Board Chairman and president of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association (MEBA). “Their careers demonstrate a commitment to the men and women of the U.S. Merchant Marine and to strengthening our U.S. flag fleet.”

      Captain Lee Kincaid has held numerous positions in the maritime industry over his 35 year career. He graduated with honors from the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) at Kings Point, New York and went on to sail for 15 years in all merchant marine deck officer positions, including Master. He recently served as the Director of Government Affairs for the USMMA alumni foundation, where he promoted the Merchant Marine Academy, U.S. flag shipping and national security by educating Congress and regulatory agencies on industry issues. Captain Kincaid participates in several maritime advisory committees and programs related to transportation, national security, law, safety, training and education.

      James Caponiti has a wealth of experience from his 37 year career at the Maritime Administration (MARAD), an agency of the U.S. Department of Transportation. During his tenure at MARAD, Mr. Caponiti was significantly involved with principal maritime programs supporting the U.S. Flag merchant marine, including the development, implementation and management of the Maritime Security Program, various cargo preference programs, the Jones Act; and, he was responsible for executive oversight of the management and operation of the Ready Reserve Force. In his current role as Assistant Administrator, he serves as principal advisor to the Maritime Administrator and supports the day-to-day management and direct oversight of all agency-administered programs. Mr. Caponiti has earned numerous medals and honors throughout his career at MARAD, including the Presidential Meritorious Rank Award and the Presidential Distinguished Rank Award, the highest Civil Service awards for Senior Executives. At AMC, he will continue to forge strategic partnerships between government, industry and labor to deliver solutions that benefit the U.S. maritime industry.

      About the American Maritime Congress

      Founded in 1977, the American Maritime Congress is a non-profit, non-partisan educational and research organization dedicated to informing the public, the media and our legislators in Washington on the issues and policy affecting the U.S. flag merchant marine and maritime industry. For over thirty years, AMC has delivered its message of “ships and jobs” to our nation’s capital. Whether it’s our ships sailing internationally or our Jones Act domestic fleet, AMC is a leading advocate for responsible maritime policy, an effective commercially operating fleet for our national and economic security, and a level playing field to ensure the success and continued viability of the U.S. flag maritime industry.  www.americanmaritime.org

      ###

      About AMC
      AMC Membership
      Issue Focus