Re: Next week's listening session in San Francisco September 22

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 2011

      It was so good to see several of us at the session yesterday! I counted nine council members in attendance.

      • John A. Coleman
      • Robert D. Dockendorff
      • Jim Haussener
      • Phelps Hobart
      • John Hummer
      • Ellen Joslin Johnck
      • Frank X. Johnston
      • Lynn Korwatch
      • Sam Sause

      The "listening session" primary focus was two-fold:

      • The morning session featured facilitated roundtable discussions regarding anticipated impacts of the Panama Canal Expansion on U.S. Ports and Infrastructure.
      • The afternoon session included facilitated panel and roundtable discussions regarding the incorporation of America's Marine Highways into our nation's transportation system.

      During these sessions, we expressed views and opinions on these issues and engaged in considerable dialogue at each table and with the panel of afternoon speakers. It was a good event, well organized and presented.

      I renewed acquaintances with several individuals from Washington DC to right here in the Bay Area. Then I met several more. I brought along copies of the Navy League's Maritime Policy Statement as well as information on our council and membership applications; all were well received.

      I returned home with over a half dozen business cards and an informative eighty page Department of Transportation Maritime Administration "America's Marine Highway Report to Congress, April 2011, http://www.marad.dot.gov/documents/MARAD_AMH_Report_to_Congress.pdf.

      All in all, a good day and extra special a direct hit on International Maritime Day 2011, September 22!

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS

      --- In PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com, "Pacific Merchant Marine Council" <pmmc@...> wrote:

      Re: The Maritime Administration's Panama Canal Expansion Study Listening Session and America's Marine Highway Corridor

      Ahoy,

      Simply a heads up to inform all what those attending will be doing. The dialog has the potential to be lively. See you who are registered for the 22nd. I checked and there are still a few spaces available to register and attend.

      This is our council's observance of World Maritime Day - a direct hit on the primary day worldwide!

      The United Nations (UN), via the International Maritime Organization (IMO), created World Maritime Day to celebrate the international maritime industry's contribution towards the world's economy, especially in shipping. The event's date varies by year and country but it is always on the last week of September. World Maritime Day 2011 is Thursday, September 22, 2011.
      http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/un/world-maritime-day