Fw: USS HORNET December 2007 Newsletter

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2007

      With interest we will have a PMMC group ship visit next November.

      Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 4:43 PM
      Subject: USS HORNET December 2007 Newsletter

      Dear Phelps,

      Here’s what's happening at the USS Hornet Museum.

      View from the Bridge

      As we near the end of another year, I want to thank you all for your continuing support of HORNET and her crew. It is truly an honor to work with all of you as we continue our work to keep the museum shipshape, to educate and entertain our visitors, and to help them remember a significant era in our nation’s history.

      It’s been an interesting and productive year for our team, and we’re looking forward to another one in 2008. Next year we will celebrate the 10th (!) anniversary of HORNET opening for business as a museum – a true testament to the hard work, financial support, and new ideas which you have collectively provided over those years. You can bet that we’ll have a party as we launch into our second 10 years!

      I wish you all a happy holiday season, and best wishes for a great 2008. And, I hope to see many of you on New Year’s eve as we usher in the new year on the Grey Ghost.

      HORNET is still on station…thanks for your continued support.

      Jon Stanley

      Spotlight on Hornet Crew

      ImageAl Smith

      This issue’s profile features Al Smith, a volunteer who has been supervising ship restoration of the USS HORNET since 1998. Al is also responsible for all lock and key systems aboard HORNET — a visitor can easily identify him by the huge ring of keys dangling from his belt.

      Al is a U.S. Navy veteran of 12 years in anti-submarine warfare, operating ECM radars. He qualified as an aerial gunner in a TBM Avenger and is an expert in aviation ordinance.

      In 1978, Al became a technical advisor to the Navy/Marine Corps Museum on Treasure Island. For more than 10 years, Al taught Marine Corps history and foreign weapons to Marine units in the Bay Area. He backpacked throughout the Solomon Islands to enhance his knowledge of Marine history during this time.

      Al’s first job on HORNET was in 1995, when he worked in the ship’s store during Fleet Week.

      In 1997, Al retired from business and joined the Hornet crew permanently. That year, he was “promoted” to monitoring the removal by the Navy of 176,000 gallons of fuel from HORNET before she could be opened as a museum. This momentous task was accomplished in 6 weeks, 7 days a week, 10 hours a day. At that time, there was no electricity to the ship so everything was done by flashlight! This is how Al became familiar with all areas of HORNET and why he now heads the “Flashlight Tour” team, which guides tours to areas not yet open to the public. (For information on Flashlight Tours, visit our website at: http://www.uss-hornet.org/youth_programs)

      Since the age of 16, Al has been collecting military arms and has an extensive collection, including British and U.S. arms dating back to the French-Indian Wars of 1750. This sparked a career in the gun business, which enabled Al to become a small arms ordinance expert and a consultant to both Superior and Federal Courts. An avid collector, Al also has collections of British and Soviet military decorations, militaria, Solomon Island maps, and military history books -- mostly World War I.

      In his “spare” time, Al participated in more than 300 races and retired from running just five years ago. He also had an interest in iaido, the martial art of sword drawing practiced by the Japanese Samurai. Real swords were used at the time he was involved.

      A third-generation Alameda native, Al has been married since 1962 to Letty, a highly-skilled X-ray technician who is still working. They have one daughter and two granddaughters. He still lives in Alameda.

      For more on restoration progress visit:

      Restoration Progress

      Membership News

      Thank You All Members!
      The USS Hornet Museum would like to thank all its members who joined or renewed during the past year. Your contributions help to support the ongoing preservation and restoration of a national treasure. Over 650 memberships have been purchased so far this year,

      It’s not too late to join or renew before the end of the year! Memberships make great gifts and are tax-deductible.

      Don’t Forget:
      All members receive discounts to our upcoming New Year's Party, discounts on Flashlight Tours, and free admission to our monthly Living Ship Days, and many other benefits!

      Be sure to keep your membership current so that you don't miss any events!

      To become a member or renew your membership, go to:

      Membership

      NEW YEAR'S EVE aboard HORNET

      ImageCome Celebrate with Us!
      The Bay Area's best place to dance!
      December 31, 2007
      8:00pm to 1:00am • Doors Open at 7:15pm

      Live Music from Swing to Rock
      by David Martin’s House Party!

      Dance to a variety of music performed by the Bay Area’s high energy band. This band gets party revelers dancing to everything from swing to pop, disco, and rock sensations.

      Enjoy an Andrews Sisters Tribute by the Singing Blue Stars of the USS HORNET!

      The ship features three dance floors on the enclosed, heated hangar deck. Period attire is welcome, black tie optional. FREE dance lessons featuring the East Coast Swing and Cha-Cha will be offered. There will also be a midnight countdown and silent auction. Cash bars and food concessions are available.

      TICKETS: 510-521-8448 x282 or purchase online through the Ship’s Store
      ADMIRALS' PREMIUM RESERVED SEATING $98

      Best View of Stage • Party Favors • Champagne Toast

      CAPTAINS' RESERVED SEATING $72

      Limited View of Stage • Party Favors
      GENERAL ADMISSION $50
      First-come Seating behind all Reserved Seating • Includes Party Favors ($55 at the door if the event is not sold out)

      Plenty of FREE PARKING Available

      Museum Members receive $5 off each Reserved Seating ticket (limit 4 tickets)
      Not a member? Join online or when ordering tickets by phone:
      (510) 521-8448 ext. 282

      A special gourmet buffet dinner catered by Aroma Restaurant & Catering can be purchased for $50 per person.

      Proceeds benefit the USS Hornet Museum, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and a registered State and National Historic Landmark.

      For more information and frequently asked questions:

      New Year's Eve Party

      Family Overnight Dates Added for 2008

      Our family overnight program has been so successful that we've added three dates for the beginning of 2008:

      Friday, February 15
      Friday, March 14
      Friday, April 18

      Examples of historical presentations given during this past year's ultimate family overnight adventure included the Apollo recovery missions and the Battle of Midway. We'll continue to provide interesting programs in the coming year.

      Don't miss out! Book early because the dates fill up as the word gets out and the program becomes even more popular.

      For more information:

      The Ultimate Family Adventure

      Sponsors & Donations Wanted

      Get your company’s name posted on our website and in Bay Area advertisements. The USS Hornet Museum is looking for sponsors for our 2008 fundraising events.

      We host big band dances featuring well-known bands such as the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra and the Glenn Miller Orchestra, a Fourth of July Celebration, and a Halloween dance. Other sponsorship opportunities include “Living Ship Day” and patriotic ceremonies.

      The next sponsorship opportunity is our annual New Year's Eve Dance. We are accepting silent auction item donations for this event as well.

      If you are interested in supporting this national treasure, please reply to this announcement at:
      EBuzz@...
      and you will be sent a PDF file describing our sponsor benefits packages. If you know someone who might be interested, please forward this email to them.

      If you prefer, you can make separate donations via the link below and specify the fundraising event of your choice.

      Thank you for your consideration.

      Donations

      Upcoming Events

      ImageSATURDAY, DECEMBER 8, 2007
      BLACK COLLEGE EXPO

      The USS Hornet Museum will host this year’s Black College Expo. The Expo features over 50 HBCU’s (Historical Black Colleges and Universities) and educational organizations along with informative seminars. Museum visitors are welcome to visit the expo booths which will be located on the Hangar Deck.

      MONDAY, DECEMBER 31, 2007
      NEW YEAR'S EVE PARTY

      From swing to rock… the ultimate New Year’s Eve Party is held aboard the aircraft carrier USS HORNET. Celebrate a new year as you dance among vintage aircraft and enjoy a variety of dance music performed by David Martin’s House Party. Information and Reservations: (510) 521-8448 x 282 or http://www.uss-hornet.org/dance

      FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2008
      FRIDAY, MARCH 14, 2008
      FAMILY OVERNIGHT EXPERIENCE

      Don’t miss the boat! Enjoy the ultimate family experience by spending the night onboard the aircraft carrier USS HORNET. Tour the ship at night, hear fascinating sea stories, sleep in the bunks, and have fun learning about history. Information and Reservations: (510) 521-8448 x 280

      SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 2008
      LIVING SHIP DAY: BLACK HISTORY MONTH

      MONDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 2008
      PRESIDENTS’ DAY

      The ship is open regular hours.

      SATURDAY, MARCH 15, 2008
      LIVING SHIP DAY: WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH

      SATURDAY, MARCH 22, 2008
      TOMMY DORSEY ORCHESTRA

      Don't miss one of the biggest bands from the swing era as it makes its first appearance on the USS HORNET. Tickets go on sale soon.

      For a complete list of Upcoming Events go to:

      Upcoming Events

      Donate Your Car

      The USS Hornet Museum has teamed up with Car Donation Services, Inc. to participate in a “Donate Your Car” program. If you have a car, boat, or trailer that you are thinking about donating to a worthy cause, please think about HORNET.

      All the paperwork (smog certificates, registration, etc.) will be handled for you. Your car will even be towed if it is not running. And, of course, you get a nice tax deduction for your donation.

      Please call 1 (888) 686-4483 for more information and to make arrangements for pickup or visit:

      Car Donations

      Become a Volunteer!

      Help preserve HORNET for future generations!
      Volunteer for ship and/or aircraft maintenance and restoration, youth programs, tour guide, security, special events, museum projects, or administrative help.

      New volunteer orientations (NVO’s) are held the first Saturday of each month. Contact Gene Brown at 510-521-8448 x 268 to sign up.

      For a complete list of jobs, visit:

      Volunteer Opportunities

      Thank you for all your continued support,

      The Crew of the USS HORNET

      Click here to forward this email to a friend

      USS Hornet Museum
      P. O. Box 460
      Alameda, California 94501

      Peacefully moored at historic Alameda Point on San Francisco Bay.
      www.uss-hornet.org - 18k - Cached
      Welcome to the aircraft carrier USS HORNET tour map. ... USS Hornet Museum. P.O. Box 460. Pier 3, Alameda Point ... Copyright ©1999-2007 USS Hornet Museum. ...
      www.uss-hornet.org/explore_ship - 33k - Cached
      Everything you wanted to know about the aircraft carrier.
      www.its.caltech.edu/~drmiles/ hornet.html - 36k - Cached
      a b USS HORNET (Cvs-12) (Aircraft Carrier) ... [USS Hornet (CVS-12)--Accompanying 4 photos, exterior, from 1943, 1944, 1945, and ...
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Hornet_(CV- 12) - 58k - Cached