Pacific Central Region Nominating Committee Results

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2011

      The Pacific Central Region Nominating Committee met collectively after the Pacific Central Region Coast Guard District 11 Awards Ceremony July 29th. Thank you to the several council members who attended the luncheon!

      Now on to the Pacific Central Region Nominating Committee results...

      A sign of the strength of our council is shown by examining the nominees for NLUS National Directors. There are fifteen positions available - five of those are automatically assigned to the Leaguers taking on the additional responsibilities of Region and Area Presidents, Bonnie Potter, Carey Barnecut (Northern California), Lorraine Hughey (San Francisco Bay Area), Carol Ann Hackley (Central California) and Darrell Fike (Northern Nevada). That leaves ten region positions remaining; of those ten, four nominees are members of our council and one is on our Advisory Board! They are:
      • Ed Dangler, Council Judge Advocate - Ed is a professor of maritime law locally and serves on the NLUS Merchant Marine Committee.
      • Don Hale, Council Vice President - NLUS Affairs. Don serves on the NLUS Executive Board and being our past Region President for four years - he knows his way around the League. He also serves on the NLUS Merchant Marine Committee.
      • Phelps Hobart, Council President - Phelps chairs six region committees and is the region's Senior Vice President; he also serves on six national committees, including the NLUS Merchant Marine Committee.
      • Sam Sause, Council Senior Vice President, Sam is the owner / general manager of Grand Transport Agency, http://www.grandtransport.us, and has been in the industry forty plus years. He is active with the International Maritime Center at the Port of Oakland - Seamen's Church Institute, http://www.sfbaybarer.org, and the Propeller Club of the San Francisco Bay Area, http://www.propellerclubnorcal.org. He serves on the NLUS Merchant Marine Committee.
      • Mark Neeson, Council Advisory Board Member, is the President of the Humboldt Bay Council and also serves on the NLUS Merchant Marine Committee.
      I didn't mention Evan Baker. He, as Past NLUS President, automatically is a National Director from our region - being nominated is not necessary. He remains active nationally on the Executive Board. Locally he is a member like Mark of our Council's Advisory Board.

      Outside the Pacific Central Region, we have several members of Council and members of our Advisory Board who are NLUS national directors.

      Ed, Don, Phelps, Sam, and Mark are commended for their initiative to again be nominated and willingness to serve at the national level! BRAVO ZULU guys!

      No other region council comes close to the number of members currently serving and being nominated for 2012.

      Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 4:22 PM
      Subject: [PCR-NLUS] Nominating Committee Results

      Good afternoon National Directors, Area Presidents and Council Presidents,

      My sincere thanks to all who attended yesterdays Coast Guard Awards Luncheon and Region Nominating Committee Meeting. Special thanks to Jeanne Sharkey and Lorraine Hughey for organizing the Luncheon, and my sincere thanks to the Sea West Coast Guard Federal Credit Union for providing $100 for each award recipient. We recognized 11 outstanding individuals yesterday ... truly the best of the best!

      I also want to thank and recognize Bill Sharkey for serving as Chair of the Region Nominating Committee!! And special thanks to Darrell Fike for coming all the way from Carson City to assist Bill in spite of recent health issues. Thank you Darrell!!

      The following is the slate of nominees that we will send to the National Nominating Committee Chairman:

      Region President: Bonnie Potter

      Area Presidents: Carey Barnecut (Northern Calif), Lorraine Hughey (SF Bay Area), Carol Ann Hackley (Central Calif) and Darrell Fike (Northern Nevada)

      National Director: Don Hale, Phelps Hobart, T. Cole Hackley, Ed Dangler, Mark Neeson, Valerie Falk, Liz Blanchard, Sam Sause, Hadi Monsef, Joe Revolinski, and Ken Zadwick with Peete Baer as an alternate.
      Jeanne Sharkey is being nominated for National Director Emeritus.

      Congratulations to all nominees and thank you for your willingness to serve at the national level. And again, my sincere thanks to Bill Sharkey and the Area Presidents and Council Presidents or your designated representative for participating in this important process.

      Cheers, Bonnie

      Bonnie B. Potter, MD
      President, Pacific Central Region
      Navy League of the United States