Re: Merchant Marine Stamps - First Day of Issue Ceremony, Sacramento, 7/28/2011, 11:00 am

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2011

      This event was well attended - Navy Leaguers, American Merchant Marine Veterans, and the public. In fact there were more people than chairs. The setting at the Sacramento's Maritime Monument, http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM4PBB_Merchant_Marine_Memorial_Old_Sacramento_CA, in the shade of the adjacent trees was ideal.

      Sales of the stamps and the official commemorative cachet of four first day covers was brisk. Some individuals purchased more than one set of the special envelopes. The cachets, four special printed envelopes, each of one of the four stamps, carefully canceled with special Merchant Marine First Day of Sale stamp are in limited supply - an edition of 500. Their cost is $3.00 each x 4 = $12.00 They are available at the Post Office at 2000 Royal Oaks Drive in Sacramento. For members of the council I am willing to purchase them and mail them to you. The sheets of the $.44 "Forever Stamps" contain 16 stamps and sell for $8.80 each - they should be available at your Post Office but I can obtain them for you as well. I purchased and resold nearly $200. of the stamps and covers. I have a supply of the event program; I will include one with each request I receive.

      I remain disturbed that the San Francisco Postmaster and the San Francisco National Maritime Park did not team up for an event either at the museum or Hyde Street Pier. The Park Service officers and the Association leadership knew well in advance these special stamps were to be issued on the 28th of July. Sacramento, like San Francisco and other Bay Area cities, has a rich maritime history.

      This special event is one of the highlights of our council's 2011 activity calendar.

      On the East Coast, a ceremony took place at the Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/postal-service-salutes-us-merchant-marine-on-forever-stamps-126323838.html.

      --- In PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com, PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Reminder from: PMMC-NLUS Yahoo! Group

      Merchant Marine Stamps - First Day of Issue Ceremony, Sacramento
      Thursday July 28, 2011
      11:00 am - 12:00 pm
      Location: Merchant Marine Monument - Old Sacramento
      Street: 100 Capitol Avenue
      City State Zip: Sacramento, California, 95814
      Phone: (916) 739-6949

      All invited! Please pass the word.

      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council, Navy League of the United States, teams up once again with the Sacramento Valley Chapter, American Merchant Marine Veterans.

      This time it is for the unveiling of the new issue of the four Merchant Marine US Postal Service $.44 forever stamps.

      The ceremony will take place adjacent to the Merchant Marine Monument, Old Sacramento - above the Sacramento River on the Promenade between Tower Bridge and Embassy Suites.

      Present will be the new Sacramento Postmaster Jeff Lelevich and the Post Office's Customer Relations Coordinator Ralph Petty. Also, likely officiating is California's Department of Veteran Affairs Deputy Secretary Veteran Services Ted Puntillo.

      Scheduled to say a few words are Ken Blue and Bill Fairfield, AMMV, and Phelps Hobart, NLUS.

      There will be chairs, podium, sound system, music - National Anthem and Heave Ho. Additionally taps in remembrance of our nation's Seafarers who have passed over the bar. Embassy Suites valet parking available as well as in the public garage across Capitol Avenue.

      After the unveiling ceremony, the new stamps will be available for purchase, custom made first day cover envelops provided by the Post Office as well. The Post Office is even preparing the color printed program which has space for the plate block of the four distinct stamps, and a short history of the Merchant Marine.

      I will have the stamps available at our Coast Guard Island Luncheon on the 29th.

      We will continue to endeavor to locate a similar event in San Francisco and the East Bay. Nothing firm yet.

      For more on these special stamps:

      PREVIEW: U.S. Merchant Marine on stamps - July 2011 http://www.worldstampnews.com/2011/01/preview-u-s-merchant-marine-on-stamps-in-2011