Port Chicago Memorial Service Saturday, July 23rd, Military Ocean Terminal- Concord

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2011
    Members,

    I know some of you will be attending but if you haven't submitted your reservation maybe, just maybe, you can attend the ceremony with the Sea Cadets. I suspect not but check with Karen Freitas, Vice President Youth Activities, (209) 862-1371, or Midshipman Kelsey Freitas is the person contact at (209) 277-9373.

    We commend the Arkansas Division Sea Cadets for once again being involved in the ceremony.

    Phelps

    Largest Homeland Disaster during World War II

    On the evening of July 17, 1944, residents in the San Francisco east bay area were jolted awake by a massive explosion that cracked windows and lit up the night sky. At Port Chicago Naval Magazine, 320 men were instantly killed when the munitions ships they were loading with ammunition for the Pacific theatre troops blew up.

    Reservations are required to visit this site.

    Workroom

    Port Chicago Memorial Service 2011

    Port Chicago Naval Magazine National Memorial Memorial Service & Commemoration

    Date: Saturday, July 23rd, 2011

    Where: Military Ocean Terminal- Concord, California

    Formal service at waterside memorial 10:00 am to 11:00 am

    Informal gathering and ranger-led tours 11:00 am to 2:30 pm

    Reservations are required by July 16th (due to limited access)