Navy Midshipmen vs University of Utah Utes at Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego 20 December

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2007

      Navy Ramps Up for Poinsettia Bowl

      Dec. 20 Poinsettia Bowl at San Diego, Utah (8-4) vs. Navy (8-4),

      9 p.m. EST (ESPN) Check local listing for exact time.

      Story Number: NNS071204-12 Release Date: 12/4/2007 4:17:00 PM

      http://www.news.navy.mil:80/search/display.asp?story_id=33673

      From Naval Academy Public Affairs

      ANNAPOLIS, Md. (NNS) -- Naval Academy football team is preparing for the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego Dec. 20.

      After Navy's impressive 38-3 victory over Army Dec. 1, clinching the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy for the fifth consecutive year, the midshipmen are looking ahead to their fifth straight bowl game.

      The Naval Academy football team will battle the University of Utah in the third annual San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl on Dec. 20 at 6 p.m. (PST) at Qualcomm Stadium which will be televised nationally on ESPN.

      "We'll have a strong opponent in the U.S. Naval Academy," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. "We've never played the midshipmen before, but we expect the same type of discipline, toughness and level of execution that we face every year in Air Force."

      Navy is 8-4, coming off their unprecedented sixth consecutive win over archrival Army. The midshipmen's record-making season also included a dramatic victory over Notre Dame, Navy's first win over the Fighting Irish in 43 years.

      The Utes also head into the Poinsettia Bowl 8-4. Utah has won its last six bowl games, dating back to 1999, which is the second-longest postseason win streak in the nation. The Poinsettia Bowl marks the fifth-straight bowl appearance for the Utes.

      "We look forward to rolling out the red carpet and hosting them in our great city," said Poinsettia Bowl President Rudy Castruita. "The Utes and midshipmen are going to put on quite a show for football fans all around the country."

      "I'm excited the team has achieved one of its goals, to have a chance to go to a bowl game, and I'm excited to be going to San Diego," said Navy head coach Paul Johnson. "San Diego is a great city and I'm sure our players will have a great time."

      Navy football fans are encouraged to buy bowl tickets from the Naval Academy Athletic Association. The goal is to send more than 2,000 midshipmen from Annapolis to San Diego, and to sell more than 20,000 tickets to bring a strong Navy presence to Qualcomm Stadium.

      Tickets for the Poinsettia Bowl are on sale now at
      www.navysports.com. Tickets can also be purchased 1-800-US4-NAVY. Tickets are $45 for club seats and $35 for field seats. Fans who can't attend the game can purchase tickets to sponsor Midshipman or enlisted personnel and their families for $35, which is tax deductible.

      For more news from U.S. Naval Academy, visit
      www.news.navy.mil/local/usna/.

      http://www.10news.com/news/14753589/detail.html?rss=sand&psp=news

      The Poinsettia Bowl matches a team from the Mountain West Conference against an at-large opponent.

      Utah tied for third in the conference with a 5-3 record in conference play and was 8-4 overall, including a seven-game winning streak that was snapped with a 17-10 loss to Brigham Young in its regular-season finale Nov. 24.

      "We're excited for the opportunity to play in the Poinsettia Bowl," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said. "We have several players, as well as a large alumni base, from the Southern California area. It's also a great destination for our fans from Utah. We always have a large fan contingent at our regular season games in Qualcomm Stadium and we anticipate an even bigger turnout for the bowl game."

      Navy accepted a Poinsettia Bowl berth April 11 and qualified for the game by winning its sixth game Nov. 10.

      The Midshipmen will enter the Poinsettia Bowl with an 8-4 record and four-game winning streak, that began with a 46-44 triple-overtime victory over Notre Dame Nov. 3, that ended an NCAA-record 43-game losing streak to the Fighting Irish.

      Navy defeated Colorado State, 51-30, in the inaugural Poinsettia Bowl in 2005.

      1.
      Deseret Morning News - Dec 03 11:25 PM
      Tickets to Poinsettia Bowl ready for purchase at U.
      2.
      Provo Daily Herald - Dec 03 12:10 AM
      SAN DIEGO -- Utah coach Kyle Whittingham knows all about wild December games in San Diego, having played in the first four Holiday Bowls with BYU. Now he'll be bringing his Utah Utes to town to play Navy on Dec. 20 in the Poinsettia Bowl, which will kick off the bowl season with a matchup of 8-4 teams at Qualcomm Stadium. "We're elated.
      3.
      Deseret Morning News - Dec 02 5:21 PM
      Utah coach Kyle Whittingham knows all about wild December games in San Diego, having played in the first four Holiday Bowls with BYU. Now he'll be bringing his Utah Utes to town to play Navy on Dec. 20 in the Poinsettia Bowl, which will kick off the bowl season with a matchup of 8-4 teams at Qualcomm Stadium.
      4.
      MSNBC - Dec 02 4:33 PM
      SAN DIEGO (AP) -Utah is headed for its fifth straight bowl, accepting a bid to play Navy in the Poinsettia Bowl.
      5.
      Baltimore Sun - Dec 02 5:07 PM
      8-4 Utes accept bid for Dec. 20 game vs. Navy Utah is headed for its fifth straight bowl, accepting a bid to play Navy in the Poinsettia Bowl.
      6.
      The Salt Lake Tribune - Dec 02 4:02 PM
      7.
      WPRI 12 Providence - Dec 02 4:51 PM
      San Diego (AP) - Utah is headed for its fifth straight bowl, accepting a bid to play Navy in the Poinsettia Bowl on December 20th at San Diego's Qualcomm Stadium.
      8.
      WOOD TV 8 Grand Rapids - Dec 02 4:57 PM
      Associated Press - December 2, 2007 7:43 PM ET San Diego (AP) - Utah is headed for its fifth straight bowl, accepting a bid to play Navy in the Poinsettia Bowl on December 20th at San Diego's...
      9.
      Lexington Herald-Leader - Dec 02 12:07 AM
      2007-08 bowl schedule Date Bowl name Location MATCHUP Time (TV) Dec. 20 Poinsettia San Diego MWC vs. Navy 9 p.m. (ESPN) Dec. 21 New Orleans New Orleans Florida Atlantic vs. Memphis 8 p.m. (ESPN2) Dec. 22 Papajohns.com Birmingham, Ala. Cincinnati vs. Southern Mississippi 1 p.m. (ESPN2) Dec. 22 New Mexico Albuquerque, N.M. MWC vs. WAC 4:30 p.m. (ESPN)
      10.
      The Salt Lake Tribune - Dec 04 3:21 AM
      All Times MST     Dec. 20 Poinsettia Bowl at San Diego, Utah (8-4) vs. Navy (8-4), 7 p.m., ESPN     Dec. 21 New Orleans Bowl, Florida Atlantic (7-5) vs.