992Re: [PMMC-NLUS] Re: Dan Walters: Ship pilots, shippers take their money fight to Capitol: AB 907

  • capt.ob@comcast.net
    Jun 17, 2011
      All Hands:
      The SF Bar Pilots do not receive a salary.  The charges to vessels are based on tonnage, draft, etc....The pilots are now negotiating rates comparable to other like ports. It's amazing that those who are commenting on this issue have probably never been on the bridge of a vessel and witnessed the conning of a ship in close quarters, let alone conned a ship, or have even gone to sea. The pilots EARN every dime of their annual share. I've seen pilots in many foreign ports, and none compare to the SF Bar Pilots...a Busan pilot, going too fast in the fog, t-boned the President Washington some years back...I've seen the Captain take the conn away from the pilot for incompetence, on several occasions, the last time going into Freeport in the Bahamas... The Captain has final authority and responsibility for the safe navigation of his vessel, except in two instances: While transiting the Suez Canal, and when the forefoot of the vessel crosses the treshold of a graving dock. God Bless the Pilots!

      Captain K.C. O'Brien, (ret.)
       International Organization of Masters, Mates & Pilots, ILA, AFL-CIO

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic