988Army Celebrates June 14, 1775: 236th Birthday

    Jun 14, 2011
      ADVISORY
      Just to set the record straight on service birthdays...

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS

      Without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive.

      The pathway of man’s journey through the ages is littered with the wreckage of nations which, in their hour of glory, forgot their dependence on the seas."
      —Brig. Gen. James D. Hittle, USMC (Retired), 1961

      Merchant Marine Birthday: On June 12, 1775; The first merchant marine action in the war took place on when a group of Machias, Maine citizens in the aid of the U.S. government, after hearing the news of what happened in Concord and Lexington, boarded and captured the schooner British warship HMS Margaretta. The colonists would not surrender the ship and its cargo of valuable lumber--destined to be used to build a British outpost. The Continental Congress and the various colonies issued Letters of Marque to privately owned, armed merchant ships known as privateers, which were outfitted as warships to prey on enemy merchant ships. They interrupted the British supply chain all along the eastern seaboard of the United States and across the Atlantic Ocean and the Merchant Marine's role in war began. The privateers succeeded in disrupting trade not just along the American coast, but across the Atlantic as well. The Naval Reserve also claims this day.

      Navy Birthday: On Friday, October 13, 1775, George Washington announced that he had taken command of three armed schooners under Continental authority to intercept any British supply ships near Massachusetts. Meeting in Philadelphia, the Continental Congress voted to fit out two sailing vessels, armed with ten carriage guns, as well as swivel guns, and manned by crews of eighty, and to send them out on a cruise of three months to intercept transports carrying munitions and stores to the British army in America. This was the original legislation out of which the Continental Navy grew and as such constitutes the birth certificate of the Navy. http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq31-1.htm

      Marine Corps Birthday: On 10 November 1775 the United States Marine Corps traces its institutional roots to the Continental Marines of the American Revolutionary War, formed by Captain Samuel Nicholas at Tun Tavern in Philadelphia, by a resolution of the Second Continental Congress, to raise 2 battalions of Marines. That date is regarded and celebrated as the date of the Marine Corps' "birthday". At the end of the American Revolution, both the Continental Navy and Continental Marines were disbanded in April 1783. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps

      Coast Guard Birthday: On August 4, 1790 Alexander Hamilton led the Congress in authorizing the construction of 10 vessels to enforce tariff and trade laws, prevent smuggling and protect the collection of federal revenue. This small fleet would come to be known as the Revenue Cutter Service, and formed the origins of the modern Coast Guard. https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_blogs/Blogs?action=blogpost&blogkey=newsroom&postkey=coast_guard_birthday

      Air Force Birthday: September 18, 1947 From the time that the US military purchased its first aircraft in 1909 up to 1947,  the US Air Force did not exist as a separate and independent military service organization. It went through a series of designations: Aeronautical Section, Signal Corps (1909); Aviation Section, Signal Corps (1914); United States Army Air Service (1918); United States Army Air Corps (1926),  United States Army Air Forces (1941).