789Re: [PMMC-NLUS] MARAD Ship Leaves Suisun Bay Fleet for Scrapping

  • capt.ob@comcast.net
    Aug 17, 2010
      The ship shown in the photo is a Victory ship(VC-2), for those of you who are not familiar with them. It is a 6,000 H.P. ship....some were 8,500H.P..The Navy took many of these Maritime ships and made use of them as Ammo ships (AE) Attack Cargo ships (AKA) and amphious troop ships (APA) during and after WW II.   I believe the Maritime Commission built some 567 of this type,outnumbered by the Liberty(EC-2)  some  2,700,  and the T-2 tanker. I sailed in 3 Victory ships in my career....AB, Dayman, and Bos'n....
      Captain K.C.O'Brien, retired

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic