725Re: Fw: Maritime Security Industry Day, May 26, 2010

    May 27, 2010

      The United States Coast Guard Sector San Francisco, in conjunction with the California Maritime Academy hosted the Annual Maritime Security Industry Day Wednesday morning May 26th, 2010 at the California Maritime Academy. Federal, state and local officials involved with maritime security along with industry security partners, security officers ashore and afloat attended.

      Council members in attendance in addition to myself were:
      • Jim Burns, Dean, Extended Learning, California Maritime Academy (new council member)
      • Ed Hughlett, Manager Northern California Area Safety and Health, PortsAmericia
      • John Hummer, Northern California Gateway Director, Maritime Administration (newest council member)
      • Lynn Korwatch, Executive Director, Marine Exchange of the San Francisco Bay Region
      Topics included administrative matters associated with the Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC), the Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standard (CFATS), Training Trends in the Maritime Industry, Port Security Grant Program, and the Maritime Security Risk Analysis Model (MSRAM). Probably equally valuable were the breaks; they provided opportunities for attendees to meet and chat on security matters. The focus was at the federal level though the state is deeply involved in maritime security and has its own programs and requirements.

      The just completed Department of Emergency Preparedness exercise Golden Guardian 2010, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS/message/717, for example, was not discussed. Possibly next year, the Maritime Security Industry Day, could be delayed a few weeks so that information gained by maritime aspects of Golden Guardian could be incorporated.

      For next year I would also welcome a couple of maritime industry panels - one focused on challenges meeting anti-terrorism standards and another on facility terrorism experiences. I think the reality of day to day, 24/7, situations not just meeting evolving standards and keeping up with reporting requirements and obtaining funding needs to shared.

      There is a lot happening in this industry sector as the anti-terrorism gear improves. I think the manufacturers and suppliers of security equipment would jump at the opportunity to show their wares if afforded the chance.

      If I could equate it to school, too much on preparing for the next test and not enough on learning and application.

      Jim, Ed, John, and Lynn, your comments on the day are welcomed.

      We thank the Coast Guard and the California Maritime Academy for hosting this important event.

      I set up a Navy League and Jones Act information table. Attendees picked up the literature as they departed.