681Maritime Industry Congressional Sail-In May 13, 2010

    Mar 30, 2010

      $100 from our meager council treasury in support of the Maritime Industry Congressional Sail-In May 13, 2010, http://www.maritimeindustrysailin.com.

      Anyone care to participate?

      Phelps

      PS VADM Herberger, USN (Ret.) has been suportive of our council since day 1. He was with us to speak and present us with our council charter. He remains on our council's Advisory Board. He chairs the NLUS Merchant Marine Committee.
      _________________________

      "The purpose of the “Sail-In” would be to increase the awareness of the importance of America’s maritime industry to the economic and national security of the United States, and to generate support for the programs and policies important to the survival and growth of the United States-flag merchant marine and to the jobs of American merchant mariners and America’s maritime workforce. In this initial visit there would be no “ask.” Rather our mission would be to inform, and our goal would be to make more friends in Congress who are enthusiastic about what we do and the crucial role maritime plays, and who will help us in the future."

      "Maritime Industry Congressional Sail-In":
      Join U.S. Maritime Professionals as We Educate Congress on Our Industry-- May 13, 2010

      Message from VADM Herberger, USN(Ret)-- Former U.S. Maritime Administrator and Deputy Commander-in-Chief, TRANSCOM

      Dear Maritime Industry Colleague,

      I am writing to you concerning a difficult situation in which the maritime industry now finds itself. Over the past decade many of the industry’s traditional supporters in Congress have retired or left the Hill for various reasons. As well key staff have moved on. In the meantime our industry faces many critical legislative issues coupled with the economic realities of the times.

      Granted, week after week industry representatives continue to go to bat for us in cultivating new leaders in Congress and their efforts are proving effective. But they can only do so much and cover so much territory. To put it bluntly, we could use a real boost.

      Enter the idea of the “Fly-In,” or in our case, the “Sail-In” – the idea of inviting to Washington a couple hundred hard-working individuals from the maritime industry in as diverse a group as we can muster - mariners, union reps, deck hands, able bodied seamen, ship engineers, ship stewards, crane operators, vessel captains, cargo brokers, sales managers, port/terminal operators, merchant marine officers, senior company executives - to – in an organized fashion – lobby Congress.

      Many industries regularly stage such events. The idea would be to see as many Members of Congress as possible in as many Congressional offices as possible. We would be endeavoring to extend maritime’s reach and visibility across the Hill and, in so doing, powerfully demonstrate the value our industry brings to the nation and the U.S. economy. The purpose of the “Sail-In” would be to increase the awareness of the importance of America’s maritime industry to the economic and national security of the United States, and to generate support for the programs and policies important to the survival and growth of the United States-flag merchant marine and to the jobs of American merchant mariners and America’s maritime workforce. In this initial visit there would be no “ask.” Rather our mission would be to inform, and our goal would be to make more friends in Congress who are enthusiastic about what we do and the crucial role maritime plays, and who will help us in the future.

      What we’re proposing is not easy. However, an industry coalition has been formed and has begun planning in earnest. The event will be called the Maritime Industry Congressional Sail-In and a date has been set – Thursday, May 13, 2010. And a web site has been created where individuals can register (at no cost) and get information on blocks of rooms already reserved at two hotels in close-in Arlington: http://www.maritimeindustrysailin.com/

      We need a little financial help. Would you consider making a $1,000 contribution to fund the Maritime Industry Congressional Sail-In and becoming a sponsor? Even though the participants will be paying for their own transportation and lodging, there will be other significant costs - room rental on the Hill for initial meetings and briefings, AV coverage, breakfast and lunch, an end-of-the-day reception, plus the cost of materials. We will be running on a shoe string budget, but it is only through contributions such as yours that we will be able to pull this off. In recognition, the logo of each sponsor will appear prominently on the event’s web site and at the event itself. If interested in sponsoring contact Clint Eisenhauer at ceisenhauer@....

      Again, what we’re planning is not easy. It will be hard, on-the-ground work. We’ll be literally pounding the pavement and the halls. But in my opinion, we have no other choice. We need “face-to-face” time. There’s no other way. But I’m confident we can produce major results for our industry and lay the groundwork for a solid future.

      We look forward to hearing from you soon

      Yours truly,

      VADM Albert J. Herberger, USN (Ret)