657Save the S. S. UNITED STATES!

    Mar 3, 2010
      "The Conservancy has launched a new "Save Our Ship" (SOS) national campaign. It is offering a "Plank Owner" certificate for tax-deductible donations of at least $25 via its new donor website: www.ssusplankowner.org. "

      All Hands,

      Let it hereby be known, the Navy League of the United States Pacific Merchant Marine Council as of this date is a "Plank Owner" to save the SS UNITED STATES. We stand with the SS United States Conservancy! Saving her is both patriotic and emotional. She is simply too grand a lady to be unceremoniously sold for scrap.

      Unless I hear serious objection, the Pacific Merchant Marine Council membership will vote at our March 15 luncheon meeting to "adopt" her just like we adopted our beloved National Historic Ship Memorial SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, 9 July 2007. Visit http://www.ssusplankowner.org and see what an incredible ship she is. She is the most beautiful liner in existence. We can't let her get cut up!

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS

      There are three other council posts on the SS UNITED STATES and one on our adoption of the O'BRIEN:
      S. S. UNITED STATES documentary on PBS
      Two thing going on here. Annual meeting of the S. S. UNITED STATES Conservancy aboard the RMS QUEEN MARY in Long Beach May 3rd. There a gala dinner and premier...
      Re: S. S. UNITED STATES
      Anyone to restore the SS UNITED STATES? Found this while visiting http://www.congress .org <http://www. congress. org> , a good site to visit for US congressional...
      Re: S. S. UNITED STATES
      Dear Phelps, My late friend, Bill Krasnosky and Ca[ptain Frank Mederios both sailed in the SS United States out of New York...
      PMMC, NLUS, Certificate of Adoption & Support, S. S. Jeremiah O'Brien
      ... a historic council day! The Pacific Merchant Marine Council adopted our favorite Liberty Ship! At a well attended luncheon the ... Marine Council Navy League of the United States Certificate of Adoption & Support Whereas the Navy League of the United States for ...

      MARINELOG

      March 2, 2010

      SS United States may soon be scrapped

      The SS United States Conservancy says the SS United States, may soon be scrapped. It says the ship's current owners, Genting Hong Kong through its subsidiary, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), are currently collecting bids from scrappers.

      The SS United States was listed for sale in February, 2009. While NCL offered the Conservancy first right of refusal on the vessel's sale, the Conservancy says it has not been in a financial position to purchase the ship outright. However, the Conservancy has been working diligently to lay the groundwork for a public-private partnership to save and sustain the transatlantic liner for generations to come.

      The Conservancy understands that Genting and NCL are reluctant to continue covering the significant costs associated with maintaining the vessel in its current berth in Philadelphia. It adds that it appreciates the good care the vessel has received since its purchase in 2003 with the stated intention of returning the ship to seagoing service.

      The Conservancy has begun discussions with NCL with the intent of covering some of the fees associated with maintaining the ship in Philadelphia so it can finalize plans for repurposing the ship as a stationary attraction at a large metropolitan waterfront.

      The Conservancy has launched a new "Save Our Ship" (SOS) national campaign. It is offering a "Plank Owner" certificate for tax-deductible donations of at least $25 via its new donor website: www.ssusplankowner.org.

      "This is both a patriotic and a practical effort," said Conservancy Executive Director Dan McSweeney, whose father emigrated from Scotland to America to serve as a crewmember aboard the vessel. "We're absolutely committed to saving one of the most important symbols of America in the 20th century, but we're also talking about creating hundreds, if not thousands, of jobs when this ship is refurbished and becomes a stationary attraction in a large U.S. city. We must save this irreplaceable American icon and continue the process of establishing a public-private partnership to re-purpose her."

      New York City Campaign Kick-off and Film Screening

      A special screening of the award-winning American Public Television documentary, SS United States: Lady in Waiting, will be held at the National Academy Museum (1083 Fifth Avenue, at 89th Street in Manhattan) on Thursday, March 11th, 7 p.m., followed by a reception and call to action.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic