511Last Call: Luncheon Invitation, September 21

    Sep 18, 2009
      Dear Members and Friends,

      We still accept reservations!

      A frightful amount of coordination and effort went into this luncheon meeting but we remain nowhere near seating capacity. This is among other things a fund raiser for the upkeep and maintenance of the S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN.

      For your friends and associates who join the Navy League and our council, lunch is complementary.

      If something is wrong - we should plot a different luncheon course, let me know. It will be discussed at our council board meeting following the conclusion of the luncheon.

      Please let me know if you have suggestions on moving this council forward with membership growth, luncheon attendance, mission program or whatever else you care to share. I am a bit did-heartened at the moment.

      We are seeking new officers and directors for 2010 and nominations open at the luncheon. Please consider serving.

      Thanks,

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS

      ________________________________

      You and Your Guests

      Are Cordially Invited

      To Our 3rd Quarter Luncheon

      Date: Monday, 21 September 2009

      Time: Social 1130 ~ Lunch 1200

      Place: National Historic Ship Memorial S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, Pier 45, San Francisco

      Program: Panel Presentation, Maritime Administration (MARAD) and Navy’s Military Sealift Command (MSC) Vessels and Activities in San Francisco Bay Area

      Cost: $20 with advance reservation ~ $22 without

      Details:

      • Guests welcome. Complementary lunch for guests who should join the Navy League and affiliate with the council.
      • Menu features salads, sandwiches, chips, cake, and coffee.
      • Bar open. Donations of beverages and cash for drinks appreciated.
      • Popular fund-raising “Opportunity To Win” (50 - 50 raffle) to aid council’s contribution supporting the National Liberty Ship Memorial S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN.
      • Complementary parking in covered shed C adjacent to the ship.
      • Time to share news, a sea story, a joke, or a remark.
      • Nominations open for election of 2010 officers and directors.
      • Council open board meeting to follow luncheon.
      • Temperature possibly cool; dress accordingly.
      • Docent lead ship tours before and after the luncheon.

      Dates Ahead:

      • Monday, 1130 Sept 21, PMMC Luncheon, S.S. JEREMIAH O’BRIEN $20
      • Monday, 1330 Sept 21, PMMC Board Meeting, S.S. JEREMIAH O’BRIEN
      • Thursday, 1730 Sept 24, Fleet Week Fundraiser, Hornblower, SF Pier 3 $200
      • Oct 9 - 13 San Francisco Fleet Week - Ships, Air Show, Shore Activities
      • Saturday & Sunday, Oct 10 &11, S.S. JEREMIAH O’BRIEN Bay Cruises $150
      • Tuesday, 1130 Oct 13, San Francisco Council Luncheon, Scoma’s Fisherman’s Wharf $35
      • Monday, 1130 Dec 7, Ancient Mariners Pearl Harbor Remembered Oyster Point Yacht Club
      • Monday, 1130 Dec 21, PMMC Luncheon, S.S. JEREMIAH O’BRIEN VAdm Jody Breckenridge, USCG Pacific Commander, guest of honor and speaker. Election and Installation of 2010 officers and directors. $20
      • Monday, 1330 Dec 21, PMMC Board Meeting, S.S. JEREMIAH O’BRIEN
      Anchors Aweigh,

      Phelps Hobart
      President
      Pacific Merchant Marine Council
      Navy League of the United States
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS < 1st place NLUS award winning website
      PO Box 191403
      Sacramento CA 95819-1403
      (916) 739-6949 | (916) 955-3972 Cell | PMMC@...

      The Navy League of the United States, founded with President Roosevelt's encouragement in 1902, is a civilian organization with approximately 60,000 members. The League is focused on reminding the American public and government officials that the United States is a maritime nation and that its national defense and economic well being are dependent upon strong sea services - the Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and U. S. flag Merchant Marine. NLUS and its 270 councils sponsor activities, events, and awards along with supporting military and Sea Cadet units. Its monthly magazine Sea Power covers United States maritime defense news. The council newsletter is Captain's Call.
      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council, chartered 11 December 2006, is specifically focused on the United States maritime industry. Luncheon meetings are quarterly. June 15 we visited Quinn's Lighthouse Restaurant and Pub, Oakland, for a delicious luncheon and excellent panel presentation on Short Sea Shipping out of Oakland. September 21 we return aboard the National Liberty Ship Memorial S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, Pier 45 San Francisco, with a presentation on the Maritime Administration  /  Military Sealift Command vessels transiting San Francisco Bay.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic