      From: Nelson Combs

      To: PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com

      Sent: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 23:12:30 +0000 (UTC)

      Subject: RE: [PMMC-NLUS] Re: World's Largest Cargo Ship - Emma Maersk

         I worked on some Marine Firemen's Union and SIU benefit plans over a period of twenty years.  What the old timers seemed to complain about was the lack of the romance of the fast turn world of shipping.  Gone are the copra runs and the slow turn in some ports in Asia where a nice long liberty could produce adventures.  (I don't know if "liberty" is the right word in the merchant marines, but that's what we used to call "time enough in a port of call to go ashore and get into trouble" in the Navy.

           Nelson Combs

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic