461Re: World's Largest Cargo Ship - Emma Maersk

    Jul 2, 2009
      From: Captain K. C.O'Brien, (MM&P Ret)

      To: Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS
      Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2009 4:58 PM
      Subject: Re: [PMMC-NLUS] Re: World's Largest Cargo Ship - Emma Maersk

      In 50 years of seafaring, I don't think I ever sailed in a ship that didn't have Filipino seamen. They are the most seafaring people to be found in all nations flags ships.

      They always have been known to be sober, industrious and honest. Many have been terribly abused by some shipowners....They are also known to undercut the wages of mariners everywhere......In the last few years, the shipowners have been able to undercut the Filipino seamen's wages by hiring Chinese from the People's Republic of China.

      I have been a generous contributor to Oakland Center(mostly Filipino seamen) and for over 40years the Seaman's Church Institute of New York (Elizabeth,NJ).

      I bought and donated the doors, hardware and other construction material for Oakland.

      I have heard that the Chinese seaman are contracted for a year....largely from the inner country..They are paid $100.00 in advance for one year on the ship.Their wives accompany them to the sign in and receive the money.

      I have heard horror stories of forign seaman being stranded in foreign ports, not paid, just abandoned.

      Thank God I am an American, and sailed only Union Contracted, US Flag ships.

      Captain K. C.O'Brien, (MM&P Ret)
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic